Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bios Problem

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    When I go to the Bios setup the C and other drives in the Boot screen are shown with their identifying details in square brackets, and according to the options listed on the right side of the screen anything in square brackets is disabled in "the corresponding type menu", whatever and wherever that may be. If I press enter when the C drive is selected a sub-menu opens which says disabled at the bottom, but I can't find any way to change it to enabled. Can you please tell me how to fix this.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy Whitethread
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    See if you can post a picture with a digital camara of the screen in question.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, a picture would help. Each BIOS has different menus and different ways of doing things. Mentioning which BIOS you are using might help also.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Whitethread View Post
    I can't find any way to change it to enabled. Can you please tell me how to fix this.
    Roy,
    Hello ,and just a guess... can you use the "up" "down" arrows (to select) ? Also on my "BIOS" it will prompt to "save" settings or "Exit without Saving" click on F-10 or something else. (some F + number ) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies.

I attach a picture of the Bios screen. The quality is not great but I hope you can make out enough details.

I can use the up and down arrows, but whichever drive I select, when I press enter the window that opens says disabled at the bottom, In theory I can use the plus or minus keys to change the option, but on the window in question when I do so nothing happens. (The plus or minus keys work if, for example I want to change the boot sequence).

The Bios details are as follows:

Property Value
    BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
    Serial Number To
    BIOS Version P1.30
    BIOS Date 08/02/2007
    BIOS Size 512 KB
    BIOS Starting Segment F000h
    DMI Version 2.4
    Characteristics - supports PCI
    - upgradeable (Flash) BIOS
    - allows BIOS shadowing
    - supports booting from CD-ROM
    - supports selectable boot
    - BIOS ROM is socketed
    - supports Enhanced Disk Drive specification
    - supports INT 13 5.25-inch/1.2M floppy services
    - supports INT 13 3.5-inch/720K floppy services
    - supports INT 13 3.5-inch/2.88M floppy services
    - supports INT 05 print-screen
    - supports INT 09 and 8042 keyboard services
    - supports INT 14 serial services
    - supports INT 17 printer services
    - supports INT 10 CGA/Mono video services
    - supports ACPI
    - supports legacy USB
    - supports booting from LS-120
    - supports booting from ATAPI ZIP drive
    - BIOS Boot Specification supported
    - Function key-initiated Network Service boot supported
    - Enable Targeted Content Distribution

I hope I have given sufficient info. and would appreciate further help.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies.

I attach a picture of the Bios screen. The quality is not great but I hope you can make out enough details.

I can use the up and down arrows, but whichever drive I select, when I press enter the window that opens says disabled at the bottom, In theory I can use the plus or minus keys to change the option, but on the window in question when I do so nothing happens. (The plus or minus keys work if, for example I want to change the boot sequence).
    Roy,
    The flash has obscured the picture so i can't tell ...what does the first entry say? Also it looks like your "screen resolution" is not set properly...so you could see the whole screen. looks like there might be more on the bottom (and possibly on the right side) that you can't see. How many drives do you have ? .... if only one "OS" and a partition, you would only be able to boot to the primary that has the "MBR" on it. Also If you enter Boot menu (when booting (Esc on my PC) what does it show? It should show all drives that are present (even the ones that are not boot-able) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your further input.

I attach two more pictures, this time taken without the flash and with the display set to the recommended resolution.

I have 6 drives. The C drive holds the operating system and is the first boot device shown in the pictures. The D drive is used for non system files, the E drive is the DVD drive, drive H is used for backup, and drives F and G are external hard drives which were not connected when I took the pictures.

(I have not tried the procedures mentioned in the link from Roderunner, which are a bit too complicated for me, but if need be I will ask my local computer technician to do so. Thanks very much Roderunner).

Please advise further,

Thanks and regards,
    Roy Whitethread

Roy Whitethread

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is what this display is telling me:

You have ordered you boot devices in this order:
    1) Hard drive
    2) CD/DVD
    3) USB drive
    4) Floppy drive

Note that these selections have nothing to do drive letters, but rather with physical hardware devices. For the first Boot Device, the information in brackets identifies which of your drives will be used as the boot drive. (By the way, the text at the right that you quoted refers to parentheses, not to brackets, so you can ignore that text - none of the entries are in parenthesis).

If you move the highlight down to the "Hard Disk Drives" entry, like you did in the second picture of your most recent post, what happens when you hit Enter? It should open a list showing all of your hard drives. I assume that you have more than one physical hard drive (just because you have multiple drive letters does not necessarily mean you have multiple hard drives).

By the way, I don't see any occurrence of this behavior: "If I press enter when the C drive is selected a sub-menu opens which says disabled at the bottom, but I can't find any way to change it to enabled." In other words, none of the pictures you posted shows this dialog box.

By the way, it would be helpful if you resized your photos to a smaller resolution before posting then. They are currently 3648x2736, I would think that 1/3 to 1/4 that size would be sufficient.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 6 drives. The C drive holds the operating system and is the first boot device shown in the pictures. The D drive is used for non system files, the E drive is the DVD drive, drive H is used for backup, and drives F and G are external hard drives which were not connected when I took the pictures.
    Roy ,
    I agree with Peter, his comments and questions . Looks like to me ( from what you have stated ) that you have one boot-able "OS' and it will always be C: by default. Also you should set the "CD\DVD" as first in the boot order sequence... so that you can boot from a "CD", recovery. imaging software, etc. in case of a "unexpected problem" with your "OS" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Roy, when in your BIOS set up, ignore the bracketed items enabled or disabled, they are part of the furniture. The boot priority usually has 3 settings but can have a few more. The only ones you should worry about is:-
    1 CD/DVD drive, it should be at the top, when you boot your PC it will be selected first, with option, press any key to boot from CD or DVD. if not selected it will boot from C: drive which should be No.2 on list unless you have a Floppy thing, then C: will be No.3.

[attachment=89129SCF0064.JPG]
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again everyone.I will alter the boot priority so that the CD/DVD drive is first and the C drive is the second boot device.

For what it is worth, I attach 2 more pictures. One shows the screen when I clicked enter on the Hard Disk drives item, the other when I clicked Enter on the first(C) drive.

I started this thread because my computer is not booting normally. Whether I hit the power button after the computer has shut down, or when I click restart, nothing happens until I press the reset button. Then I get to the Starting Windows screen, which stays there for some time before eventually getting to the Welcome screen and finally to the desktop. After that everything works as it should, except that if I search in computer Explorer crashes. I tried using the startup repair option in the Windows DVD, and also used F8 and chose the repair option, but neither method made any difference to the behaviour I have described.(The DVD repair option said no problems were found. What puzzled me was that my OS was shown as being on my DVD drive rather than C. When I used the F8 repair option I did not get to a screen with any options. The computer just went straight on to the starting Windows screen).

I have also tried sfc /scannow, but that made no difference.

I would appreciate any further suggestions.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Things are beginning to make sense. The first picture shows your three disk drives - two SATA drives and a HDD drive. Those are the three hard drives that are in your system. The second picture is the drive options menu where you can select which of your drives is to be the boot (1st) drive (since that is the drive you have selected). You can select from your three disks drives, or you can disable this entry in the list of disk drives (that is what the 'Disabled' selected is for). This same menu should show up for the other drives.

So what should you do? Choose the disk drive you want to boot from (one of the SATA drives, or the HDD drive) and set it up as the "1ST Drive". You can do this from the menu in the second picture by selecting the drive you want. If you select a drive other than SATA:4M (your current disk drive), then the ordering of the drives will be changed (just try and note that happens to the drives listed as 1st, 2nd and 3rd).

Which drive should you pick? Well, there are two things you can try. First, in Windows Disk Manager (Computer | Manage | Storage | Disk Management) note which disk drives map to which drive letters (right-click on the physical drive in Disk Manager and select Properties - the properties dialog should have the same disk info provided by the BIOS). Also note which partition on each physical drive is marked as the boot partition for that drive (the word 'Boot' will appear in parenthesis right after the word Healthy for the partition. Only those physical drives that have a partition marked as boot will work in the '1st Drive' location in the BIOS. The other thing you can try is just changing the order and see what happens when you try to boot - if there is no boot partition you will get an error to that effect, just go into the BIOS and select another drive.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is a screen shot of my Disk Manager. Note that the second partition in Disk 0 is marked as the boot partition. I also know that the second partition on Disk 1 is bootable, the partition of size 97.79GB and marked Healthy but without any drive letter or file system type, because it is a Linux partition with Grub installed. So I can choose either Disk 0 or Disk 1 as my "1st Drive" in the BIOS.

[attachment=89132:bios.png]

If I right-click on Disk 0 and select Properties I get this dialog which gives me the disk drive number that I see in the BIOS:

[attachment=89133:bios2.png]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, thinking about it some more the partition marked 'Boot' is the current boot partition. I do not know if there is a way to tell from the Disk Manager which disks are bootable - that all depends on what is written in the Master Boot Record (MBR) of each disk. So all you can really do is try each disk drive as the "1st Drive" in the BIOS and see which ones boot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast