Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Search

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all,
    I know that I'm going to take a "beating" for this post ... but here goes. As a Vista user i loved the search function ... could easily find all the "pieces" of any program on my PC mainly so i could track down, and delete some of the "bloatware " that came with my OS. Also could select and remove them from within the "search function" itself. (piece of cake) As an example... I could type in "Windows Mail" and could see everything pertaining to the (hated) program, then methodically remove all.... one by joyous one, until they, and all vestiges were removed. So... now to my question.
    I know that I'm probably missing something , and am not the "sharpest knife in the drawer", but i cannot get Windows Search 7 to find anything i want ! ?. What am i missing ? Bring up the search (Windows Key + F ) and type in Windows Mail.. see what you get, What a pile of useless junk . I have since switched to using "Everything" http://www.voidtools.com/ Once you set up what drive you want to search, that's it, type in what you want to find.... and its all there ! And as a plus its only 1.38MB when installed. For the life of me what is up with this Windows Search? Why must it be so confusing? Has anyone found how to use this? Please help as i have not given up on this as I'm sure it "must be me" I have "Googled" this and there are thousands of hits,and most of what i have read have been extremely negative. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    Hello all,
    I know that I'm going to take a "beating" for this post ... but here goes. As a Vista user i loved the search function ... could easily find all the "pieces" of any program on my PC mainly so i could track down, and delete some of the "bloatware " that came with my OS. Also could select and remove them from within the "search function" itself. (piece of cake) As an example... I could type in "Windows Mail" and could see everything pertaining to the (hated) program, then methodically remove all.... one by joyous one, until they, and all vestiges were removed. So... now to my question.
    I know that I'm probably missing something , and am not the "sharpest knife in the drawer", but i cannot get Windows Search 7 to find anything i want ! ?. What am i missing ? Bring up the search (Windows Key + F ) and type in Windows Mail.. see what you get, What a pile of useless junk . I have since switched to using "Everything" http://www.voidtools.com/ Once you set up what drive you want to search, that's it, type in what you want to find.... and its all there ! And as a plus its only 1.38MB when installed. For the life of me what is up with this Windows Search? Why must it be so confusing? Has anyone found how to use this? Please help as i have not given up on this as I'm sure it "must be me" I have "Googled" this and there are thousands of hits,and most of what i have read have been extremely negative. Regards Fred

While it is possible to set the built in search to function, many ppl have opted out for other search utilities. I too use everything and have nto looked back

Ken
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Thanks
    Fred, Hello

A couple of things, Windows Mail, although still resident in Win 7 is no longer used. Win 7 does not install a mail program. I have chosen to download and use Windows Live Mail. I checked out Thunderbird, but could not get accustomed to the interface quick enough, so I deleted it. Perhaps I did not try it long enough, who knows.

Windows search works much better when the entire drive is indexed. The initial indexing takes a while, but subsequent indexing is much quicker. Type Index in the search box, and choose Indexing Options. This is where you choose what will be indexed. A Google Search for choosing index locations shows several links for more info.

If I get around to it and find there is a need, I will check out the search app you mentioned, but for now Win 7 search seems to work for me. Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, Ken,
    Hello, and thank you both for your replies. Ted i tried to do as you have suggested, And tried to upload a screen shot of the results.... but was denied ... error message said that I'm not permitted up load this kind of file ? Anyway all it showed was nonsense, Windows Mail mixed with all manner of things that had even the slightest bit of what was entered in the search. Still confused (my normal state) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Ted, Ken,
    Hello, and thank you both for your replies. Ted i tried to do as you have suggested, And tried to upload a screen shot of the results.... but was denied ... error message said that I'm not permitted up load this kind of file ? Anyway all it showed was nonsense, Windows Mail mixed with all manner of things that had even the slightest bit of what was entered in the search. Still confused (my normal state) Regards Fred
    I guess I was not clear as well. There seems to be some leftovers for Windows Mail in Win 7 even though Windows Mail does not work in Win 7. If you look in C:Program Files or Progran Files (x86), there are folders labeled Windows Mail. Although this folder is there, it really does not do much, although I am kind of worried about deleting it. Since I do not know if it's important, I will leave it alone for now. if I decide at some point in time to investigate further, I will post with the results. I guess I'm kind of lost as to why these folders are even included in the OS.

Win 7 search works much better when the files to be searched have been indexed. This post explains a little about indexing in Win 7. Since I do fairly simple searches, I am not disappointed with the built in Win 7 search. Have a great holiday! Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Hi Ted,

Is it possible that the Windows Mail folders have been installed on purpose to allow users using the transfer settings & files from XP to transfer their email & address book?

The files I can see after a clean install of WIndows 7 look very similar to the Outlook Express folder from the XP days.

Sorry for dragging this off-topic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    These are similar files from Vista, so anything is possible. WinMail was the Vista mail app. As stated, I'm not sure exactly why they are included. It is possible they are accessed by Easy Transfer as one of the files in the old contacts list. Or it's possible this is one of those areas that was overlooked. I have found that it is possible to import the Vista Win Mail to Win 7. However since I am perfectly happy with Windows Live Mail I will not have time to test this procedure. Again though, this is getting off the original topic. Sorry for that.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Since I do fairly simple searches, I am not disappointed with the built in Win 7 search. Have a great holiday! Ted
    Ted,
    I guess that i will have to "fool" with this more as i can not get this to work. I have done the "index thing" ( thank you for the link ) and then tried to run the search .... see attachments . "Everything" gives all places that my example "NetWorx" show up in (and instantly) .... "Windows Search" shows only the two "shortcuts" and runs forever. I'll try later Thanks to all Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Fred,

I guess I just don't get into search as much as you do. The searches I run are usually to get to MS apps quicker (msconfig, regedit, etc), or some other app I have not created a shortcut to elsewhere, so Win 7 search works fine. I do not do a lot of searches for files or folders, although I have run a few recently and found what I was looking for quickly. I did index everything I could. I guess if I had to start using more extensive searches I would look into a different search app, but for now the Win 7 search works for me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    I guess that i will have to "fool" with this more as i can not get this to work. I have done the "index thing" ( thank you for the link ) and then tried to run the search .... see attachments .
    Have you changed what is indexed? When I've done that, rebuilt the index, and given it enough time to actually do the rebuild the search results have been fast.

Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Have you changed what is indexed? When I've done that, rebuilt the index, and given it enough time to actually do the rebuild the search results have been fast.
    Joe
    Joe ,
    Hello and thank you for the post , I will try to "index" again and post back with my results..... Still don't know why this "Search " has to be so confusing ! ? With the program "Everything" it took me all of about 5 minutes to figure it out , set the conditions that i wanted , NO indexing , it ran right from the "geko" and found the search as my example has showed.... and instantly .... i mean before i could actually finished typing in into the search box ! Go figure ! ? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you modify what is being indexed? Do you have ifilters installed for various file types that Windows search does not handle by default? The reason Windows search needs to index is that it does more than just search for names. It will work with metadata and content as long as ifilters are installed.

Some of the following may be helpful:

Additional Information and Resources
    Windows Search 4.0 Administrator's Guide
    Windows Search 4.0 Troubleshooting Guide
    Windows Search: Technical Resources Overview
    Windows Search Advanced Query Syntax

Many links at the end of Windows Search - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Did you modify what is being indexed? Do you have ifilters installed for various file types that Windows search does not handle by default? The reason Windows search needs to index is that it does more than just search for names. It will work with metadata and content as long as ifilters are installed.
    Some of the following may be helpful:
    Windows Search 4.0 Troubleshooting Guide
    Joe ,
    Hello. OK, I tried to do the indexing again and about 600 some odd were indexed..... same results as my previous example. (NetWorx). I then went to the troubleshooting Guide, and checked out the others. I found one of the recommendations quite amusing "Finding Items I Know Exist" says to "right click the folder which is not returning results" What "Goofy" logic for a search program ! What if you don't know what and where the item that your trying to find is. That's like saying "click on the item you can't find" I give up, Windows Search is just not worth the time. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Administrator
    Thanks
    I tried to do the indexing again and about 600 some odd were indexed..... same results as my previous example.
    Fred, it appears from your description and previously posted pictures that you have Windows Search configured to just search default locations. You need to Modify the locations that are indexed then rebuild the index.

Joe[attachment=89148:Capture.PNG]
    Joe

Thanks
    Fred, I agree with Joe, you have not indexed your whole drive. As an example I have over 26000 items indexed compared to your 7775 items. It may be that your search engine will work better for you, but to give it a good try, you would have to index your whole drive. This may be one of those cases whereby Win 7 is trying, but not doing as good a job as one of the 3rd party specialty apps. I believe this is the case with imaging apps as well. Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast