New Lounger
    Thanks

How to delete folder that contains itself?

I have a client who is running Windows 2000 Server. On a data partition, he has a folder named "Backup S" which, when opened, appears to contain itself, and opening the second folder shows the same folder inside it, and so forth. If I try to delete the folder, I get the message "Cannot delete file: File system error (1148). Because this is a data partition, I can make a backup copy of all folders except this one, then reformat the drive, and then restore the backed up data. Before I do this, is there anything else I can try to get rid of this one problem folder? Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Are we talking NTFS or FAT-32?

In any event, I would try the kill-or-cure CHKDSK x: /F /V /R (replace x with the appropriate partition letter) in a Command Prompt window, which might sort out the file system errors. (Probably wise to attempt a backup before you run it!)

If that doesn't work I would try UNLOCKER, selecting the top-level directory you wish to try deleting, then select Delete from the drop-down menu. Beware that it can take an amazingly long time to do anything, doing which time there is no obvious sign of activity (inless you look in Task Manager).

Good luck!
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...