New Lounger
    Thanks
    First off I want to apologize for what's going to be stupid questions. As you'll see...I have little knowledge of this stuff.
    Okay...here we go.
    I had a bunch of video tapes (Hi8) that I had copied to DVD at a local photo shop. Now I wanna make copies of them for myself and family. I have a new Windows 7 machine with both a DVD RW Drive and a BD-ROM (is that a Blue Ray disk drive?) Drive. What do I do?
    I've spent a day messing with all of the FAQ's I could find.
    If you care to help...please be specific.

Thanks
    Chris, Welcome to the Lounge.

Your PC should have come with an app to allow you to play and record DVDs. You can move the DVD content to your hard drive by choosing to Rip the DVD (Rip takes the DVD content and moves it to your PC). Choose a location and name you will be able to find. Once you have Ripped the DVD, then choose Burn the DVD (Burn takes content from your hard drive and burns it to your blank DVD) Insert a blank DVD and follow the burn instructions. Once the DVD contents are on your hard drive, you can burn as many copies as you like.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is what I do. I installed MagicDisc (http://download.cnet.com/MagicDisc/3...-10383679.html) which is a virtual CD/DVD loader. MagicDisc can mount an ISO file as if it was the actual CD or DVD. MagicDisk has an option whereby you can copy a CD or DVD as an ISO file. Then Windows 7 comes with a handy app whereby you can burn the ISO to a CD or DVD (to access this app, right-click the ISO file in Explorer).

So I place the DVD into the drive, let MagicDisc copy it as an ISO, and then use the Win 7 app to burn the ISO to a blank DVD.

Oh, and you should be able to read the DVD from either the DVD RW Drive or the BD-ROM drive (yes, that is a Blu-Ray drive - it will read Blu-Ray and DVD disks). For the burn, you will have to place the blank DVD into the DVD RW Drive. You will want to use DVD+R or DVD-R media - most DVD players will handle either media type but if in doubt just get 1 of each, burn the ISO to both, and then try both in all players that you care about.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's also a very handy little program called ImgBurn that can both make the .ISO copy of the DVD (to your hard drive) and then after you have switched the source DVD with a blank (if using the same DVD drive), burn the .ISO file to the new DVD. Its a pretty self-explanatory process once you understand the .ISO file is the special copy format that can then be used to make as many additional copies of the original DVD as you want.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Some of these "video tapes (Hi8) that I had copied to DVD at a local photo shop" will use a file protection and prevent you from making copies?

Is this right, depends on what you paid for in getting this service done.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Byron...I got ImgBurn installed. It copies two files...one is an ,iso file and one is a .mds. When it comes time to select the file...which one do I use?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When it comes to writing the image file to DVD (disc), when there is an .mds available, ImgBurn wants the .mds. If you click on the .iso file, ImgBurn will just tell you that you should have selected the .mds file instead and do it for you anyway.