2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Our 14 month old Toshiba laptop (Vista Home Premium 32 bit, 3GB RAM) won't run Adobe Premiere Elements v8. After loading the current project, a five minute video, I get a warning to save any open work due to low system memory. I have used a USB memory stick and it was recognized by Auto-Play and I set the memory to the suggested maximum but no difference in running is found. There are 50+ processes running even though I have disabled everything and rebooted. I would be happy to add more physical memory but I thought there are limits to what a 32bit system can handle. Where can I find a list of the minimum processes so more memory can be available? Thanks!

Thanks
    There are 50+ processes running even though I have disabled everything and rebooted. I would be happy to add more physical memory but I thought there are limits to what a 32bit system can handle. Where can I find a list of the minimum processes so more memory can be available? Thanks!
    TweakHounds: A guide to Tweak & Optimize Vista
    Black Viper's Windows Vista SP2 Service Configurations
    You should be able to widdle that 50+ processes down to something more manageable. I would also go over all your startup programs and evaluate whether or not you actually need them starting with the os. Adding more memory would be a futile waste of money and effort, so I would not even recommend going there.

Be very careful what processes you do drop, make sure you read through and understand what your doing.
    Make an image backup of your system as well in the event things get mucked up.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe you have something running that has a memory leak but I think its more likely something else is going on. I say that because I have 3 Gb of memory and running PE8 wih up to 30-35 Gigabytes of video files open and indexed, all with 75 or so processes running and I've only had a memory problem one time and that was after running the program non-stop shuffling video files in and out for about 3 days without ever closing or refreshing the program or system at all.
    So besides trying to clean up your processes list some, I would also take a look at what is being used as a scratch disk (try not to have the source and destination and work area be all on the same disk) and where and how large your pagefile is and does it have plenty of room so there's no possibility of it getting fragmented. Also, I only work with XP and Win7 so there is a possibility that the program does not work as well with Vista so be sure to check for updates that might be available that could resolve some issues.

Thanks
    I'm willing to bet that Paul has many apps running in the background that are using much of his available RAM. Run msconfig, and stop all but the necessary stuff (I run my AV/AM app which is MSE and my Touchpad app, and that's it) That way whatever app I choose to run has all available RAM. I would also check the page file to ensure it is not disabled, because that's what Windows uses when it is running out of RAM.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have removed as much as I feel safe from the startup. Attached is a list of the services that are running. This was collected after several unsuccessful tweaks and reboots. I really appreciate the suggestions but when one response says use msconfig to remove startup items and yet another suggests websites that say never use msconfig but use services.msc from the run command. I am confused. If someone can review the attachment and perhaps highlight the ones to keep, I may have better luck. The pagefile is enabled and set to automatic. Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If nothing improves, I would take virtual memory out of automatic and assign a custom size pagefile to one or more of the drives available with plenty of room. Set it at 3 or 4 gigs and click the Set button before OKing.

In automatic the pagefile can be a little as 16MB (so it could be small and not react in time to prevent the out of memory message--even though there is/should be plenty of real RAM available) and I did have a problem with one Gateway desktop running Vista having memory problems and after I took it out of Auto pagefile, it prevented an RMA for sure.

Thanks
    msconfig can be used to stop apps that start during boot. If there are a lot of apps starting, these gobble up CPU cycles and RAM. These may be what's causing your low memory alarms. This is generally used as a trouble shooting technique. You can temporarily stop apps from starting to see if it fixes your trouble. I would use other methods for permanently stoping apps, but for seeing if it helps with the problem msconfig works just fine.

BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a bad idea to use MSCONFIG to configure services because there are only two choices - on or disabled. Instead, click Start > Run > type services.exe > Ok. There, you can disable safely.

Back to the "memory" problem, I suspect that you are running out of hard drive space. In My Computer (or Computer), see how much space is left on your drive(s).
    MS MCP, MCSE, MVP

Thanks
    You can use msconfig for simple startup item removal but I would not use msconfig to stop services
    as MildBill suggests, use services.msc

What are your pagefile settings?
    Make sure you have an adequate amount, at least equal to your total system RAM.
    Make sure at least 50-70% of your hard drive is free space.
    If your Hard Drive is larger than 70GB, make use of a partition as a space for storage.
    Defragment your drive(s).

Some of your posted services you can consider for disabling, or set to manual:
    Windows Remote Management
    Google Software Updater
    Google Update Service
    Application Experience
    Agere Modem Call Progress Audio
    Application Information
    Windows Search
    Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0
    Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
    Windows Error Reporting Service
    TTMachInfo
    OSHIBA Navi Support Service
    Tablet PC Input Service

If your using a 3rd party backup tool, you won't need the native Windows Vista one; diable it.
    If you have a 3rd party firewall you can disable Vista's firewall.
    Carefully go through all your programs and dump the junk, or set them up so they don't consume background resources.
    Get rid of poorly performing, or rarely ised software.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a few suggestions.

1) Visit PC Pitstop and run their (free) system scanner. It identifies 'craplets' that they think you can get rid of without problems. They used to be more helpful showing you how to get rid of them (without purchasing their clean up tool), but from your earlier posts, I presume that with their advice it shouldn't be a problem.

2) WinPatrol is very useful in preventing further start up programs beiong added without your explicit agreement. The free version doesn't give advice about the various programs (but I believe that the paid for version does). The downside is that it is another program permanently running (though I suspect it has a small footprint).

3) Sysinternals (now Microsoft's) Process Explorer gives some useful information in this area, but you need to find a tutorial. Leo Notenboon (www.ask-Leo.com) is in the process of writing up this app, but I would be surprised if you don't find a similar question on his site with his answer.

Peter B

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Burns View Post
    WinPatrol is very useful in preventing further start up programs beiong added without your explicit agreement. The free version doesn't give advice about the various programs (but I believe that the paid for version does). The downside is that it is another program permanently running (though I suspect it has a small footprint).
    I concur - WinPatrol should be installed on every PC.
    MS MCP, MCSE, MVP

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MildBill View Post
    It's a bad idea to use MSCONFIG to configure services because there are only two choices - on or disabled. Instead, click Start > Run > type services.exe > Ok. There, you can disable safely.
    I said apps, not services. msconfig works great to temp stop an app from starting.

I stop almost all apps running in the background. If you keep your PC lean and mean, apps start quickly without having to run in the background. The only apps I run are the AV/AM and my touchpad on my laptop. Nothing else. If I want to use an app I start it, then stop it when I'm done.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    System Requirement for the program: For 32-bit Windows Vista and Windows 7: 1GB of RAM (2GB required for HD editing, including HDV, AVCHD, or Blu-ray).

A 32-bit version of Windows can only use a maximum of about 3.5GB of memory, so you have more than enough memory.

Windows often uses a low-memory message when there is low hard-disk space.

4.5GB of available hard-disk space is required, but remember that Windows Vista reserves disk space for the swap file (pagefile), Recycle Bin, the graphics card, System Restore restore points, etc., so you probably need a minimum of about 20GB of free disk space.