Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft Japan still offers upgrade pricing for Office 2010. They don't offer the English version of Office at the online Microsoft store or places like Amazon Japan. I was wondering whether I could purchase the Japanese version of Office 2010 and install it on a machine with an English version of Windows. Would I be able to get English menus working?

Thanks
    Can you get a trial edition and try it out? Unless it is labeled as multilingual, you may not enjoy using it...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My MSDN subscription only covers operating systems and not the Office software, so I couldn't test with a full version. I had read that Office comes with a number of language options on the install disc, but those may be simply dictionaries and input languages rather than the main interface. I may have to 'borrow' a full copy from a colleague to test on a virtual machine.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same question. What I discovered after installing the Hebrew version of Office 2010 onto an English version of Windows 7 Ultimate and an English version of XP Home is that there isn't any way to change the main interface of Office to English. As far as I could figure out, the only English you could get in that scenario is for "screentips". If you want an English interface, you would need to separately purchase an Office Language Pack for English (about $25).

Thanks
    I may be a way out of line here by posting this possible "cheat" and totally wrong in my supposition of the following. If this is not allowed could one of the moderators please remove this post and accept my appoligise in advance.

On the widows 7 (32 & 64Bit) installation DVD's you could change\delete a certain file and this would then show and allow all versions of Windows 7 to be installed from the one disk.(handy if you wanted to test run the various versions) The name of the file is ei.cfg. By deleting or re-naming this file you then had access to all versions of windows 7 on one DVD disk.

It might be possible to do the same with the Office 2010 disk.
    First make an ISO file of the installation disk.
    Next open the created (office 2010) ISO up with whichever iso program you have and search for the above file and either delete or re-name it (to something like ei.123 and save the changed ISO.
    Now re-burn the changed ISO to DVD and see if the option for other languages is available.

As I said not sure if this would work or if it would be illegal and therefor this post would need to be deleted.
    ErnieK

Thanks
    I'm not a moderator, but, for what it's worth, I am CERTAIN such an action would be/is illegal. (unauthorised tampering with original copyright software)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    Ernie -

The trick you describe for Windows 7 is not only legal, I wrote a detailedTop Story about it for Windows Secrets Newsletter.

But that was Windows, this is Office.

I don't have any direct experience with Office language packs, but my guess is that you'll end up spending more by performing an upgrade to the Japanese version of Office 2010, then switching languages, as opposed to just buying Office 2010.

Installing the Japanese version of Office on an English version of Windows is 1,000% legal, no question at all. It's also legal for, e.g., German customers to buy and install the English language version of Windows or Office, on any PC they like.

There's a detailed description of the Office Language Packs on the Office Blog. I hope that helps.
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

Thanks
    Thanks Woody.
    I knew that I was one of the Windows Secrets mails that I read it in but was not to sure as to which. I decided to post it because there will be some folks here that do not get the WS newsletter.

I will be trialing Office 2010 myself over the next couple of weeks but know nothing about the laguage packs so will look at your link later today.
    ErnieK

Thanks
    Woody: Perhaps I did not clarify my statement. I agree entirely with you if you want to try various versions of the program on the instalation disk BEFORE activation. I interpreted the "trick" above by ernieK to be one that would/could be used to install a "more expensive" version than the one originally installed and ativated. (this IS illegal!) My apollogies for any offence implied by my comment. It's just, I believe, necessary to ensure readers don't get the wrong idea and think the trick is a work-around to save the cost of more expensive versions of Office. The trick is OK during a pre-activation trial of the product. Not afterwards, UNLESS a new product key is purchased if one opts to keep a different version to the activated one. (This is made clear in Woody's "Top Story" referred to above).
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.