New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using pfbackup successfully up thru Outlook 2007. I find, however, that pfbackup does not work with Outlook 2010. I have been manually backing up the .pst files by copying them to an external hard drive, but would like to get back to the automated backup I had with 2007. Has anyone seen an equivalent come out for Outlook 2010?

Any ideas?

downinfl

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using OutBack Plus for some time. It works with OL 2010. The software isn't free, but I have found it to be very reliable. I have set it to do daily scheduled backups.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried this?

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Paul's link is now the subject of an official KB artcile - How to enable Personal Folders Backup add-in to work with Outlook 2010.

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I hate to sound like a grouch, but surely Microsoft could create a downloadable add-on to accomplish this for the very large userbase that wants it. The previous version was available as a download and I, like the others, am a long-time user. (On the bright side, the thread itself is a convenient reminder that it is absent in 2010.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed Office 2010 Pro Plus over 2003 and the MS backup works fine with Outlook 2010. Just an FYI.

Hmm, I stand corrected. The addin was there and gave me a message that Outlook needed to exit to backup, but it just shut down. I had assumed the backups were being done but the file size/date were not updated.

Phil

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Ominous is the fact that after I made the post, that day or the next, Outlook (2007) crashed. Fortunately it gracefully recovered after a boot. I have 2010 on two computers, and 2010 Outlook is feature-rich, but how Microsoft could have left something so important out of the broth beats me. With all the talk of workarounds and registry changes, they could have a signed optional add-on available this week, and let us all hope they do.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I doubt they will do any more than what has been done. Since this has always been an addon and not made part of Outlook I believe that Microsoft's opinion is that backup is a separate function which needs to be considered in the bigger picture of the whole pc.

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    I doubt they will do any more than what has been done. Since this has always been an addon and not made part of Outlook I believe that Microsoft's opinion is that backup is a separate function which needs to be considered in the bigger picture of the whole pc.

Joe
    Thanks Joe, you're probably right. I realized after posting that with so many users having at least daily if not continuous backups of their data, we might restore it from that.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The registry hack from Microsoft will work IF you already have PFBackup installed. If you try and install PFBackup with only Office 2010 installed the software will not install as it cannot find a version of office that it supports. Until PFBackup is installed the registry keys referenced by Microsoft do not exist.