Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Anybody knows what is the difference between these two browser engines? I keep reading about them in browser comparison articles the web, but it looks like the same thing with two different names. Or maybe I am wrong?

TIA

Thanks
    I assume JS stands for JavaScript. If you envision web pages that don't have scripts, then only a layout engine (HTML + CSS + XML + SVG, etc.) is required to render those pages. If the pages contain scripts, then a JavaScript component interprets and executes those scripts. The scripts may or may not change the web page's contents, but if they do add or delete content, then the layout engine determines how the page display is altered. Make sense?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    I assume JS stands for JavaScript. If you envision web pages that don't have scripts, then only a layout engine (HTML + CSS + XML + SVG, etc.) is required to render those pages. If the pages contain scripts, then a JavaScript component interprets and executes those scripts. The scripts may or may not change the web page's contents, but if they do add or delete content, then the layout engine determines how the page display is altered. Make sense?
    JS indeed stands for Javascript, but I still don't see the difference...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rfe777 View Post
    The layout engine interprets commands (HTML, etc.) to determine how the data supplied with those commands is to be displayed. The JS engine interprets code (also commands) that can generate layout commands and/or data for the layout engine.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rfe777 View Post
    Then perhaps you shouldn't worry about it.

Perhaps it is helpful to think about the difference in terms of interactivity. HTML and CSS are the building blocks for all web pages. JavaScript programs add interactivity to the page: from zooms, fades, and other eye candy, to sophisticated server communications where the page does not need to completely reload when you call for additional content (like Google Maps and advanced webmail sites).