2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How do I identify "approved resellers" where I can buy a copy of Office 2007 Professional at fire sale price in order to upgrade to 2010? How can I be sure I have an upgradeable version before spending the money for the product?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As I understand it Microsoft isn't offering upgrade pricing for 2010.
    "Campaigns to bear-proof all garbage containers in wild areas have been difficult because, as
    one biologist put it, `There is a considerable overlap between the intelligence levels of the
    smartest bears and the dumbest tourists.'
    Richard Wabrek

Thanks
    The special 2007 to 2010 free upgrade was for a limited time before 2010 was released in order to induce people to continue to purchase office during this "lame duck" period. Now that 2010 is released I doubt you will find a free upgrade offer from 2007 to 2010.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    From Microsoft Office 2010 Technology Guarantee - Microsoft Office - If you purchased, installed, and activated a qualifying Microsoft Office 2007 product between March 5, 2010, and September 30, 2010, you are eligible to download Office 2010 at no additional cost.

You can get several versions Office 2007 at Amazon.com: Microsoft Office Professional 2007 UPGRADE: Windows Vista: Software. Also, at Microsoft Office Standard 2007 Upgrade - Buy from Microsoft Store or check out some of the higher rated sellers at Office 2007 Upgrade - Office Software - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Just to let you know along with everbody else. 2007 is a discontinue line at the MS Store and is not available for purchase. Sorry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    The special 2007 to 2010 free upgrade was for a limited time before 2010 was released in order to induce people to continue to purchase office during this "lame duck" period. Now that 2010 is released I doubt you will find a free upgrade offer from 2007 to 2010.
    I bought a new computer with Office 2007 pre-installed shortly after 2010 was released, and was then able to download 2010 under the terms of the upgrade.
    I wanted both versions of Office (2007 and 2010) on the new machine, and that is what I have.
    Regards
    John

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's the response when I asked one of the "high end" vendors if their copy of Microsoft Office Professional 2007 would qualify for an upgrade.

Thank you for checking with us.
    MS is being tricky with this free upgrade. It is not only when you purchase product but when the product was manufactured. As no one will actually know if their product qualifies until they register with Microsoft we cannot guarantee our product (or any product) will work!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wwob View Post
    Here's the response when I asked one of the "high end" vendors if their copy of Microsoft Office Professional 2007 would qualify for an upgrade.

Thank you for checking with us.
    MS is being tricky with this free upgrade. It is not only when you purchase product but when the product was manufactured. As no one will actually know if their product qualifies until they register with Microsoft we cannot guarantee our product (or any product) will work!

Which high end vendor was this....The only reason they would be talking about Mfg dates is that little legal issue but all copied of office 2007 were pulled from the shelves and replaced so this should no be an issue.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    royal discount.com.
    I think that's irrelevant.
    What is relevant is the statement:
    As no one will actually know if their product qualifies until they register with Microsoft we cannot guarantee our product (or any product) will work!

Which explains, I think, the reason no one, including Woody, is able to give a definite answer to the question: How do I know, before I spend the money, if the Microsoft Office Professional 2007 software i buy will be acceptable to Microsoft for an upgrade?
    Since there is no answer, I think it is a dis-service to pimp the cheap upgrade issue.

Thanks
    At this point, why bother with Office 2007 when Office 2010 is available. The whole reason was to be able to upgrade for free, but in this case, just get 2010 instead. it sounds like it's going to be a big gamble buying 2007 to upgrade.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was trying to save the $200 plus difference between MS Office Professional 2007 and 2010. I downloaded MS Office 2007 and installed it from "ALBERTA.LTD". It seems to work just fine. However, the key is unacceptable to MS for the upgrade. I have tried to contact MS by phone, email, and chat to see if there was some way to make the software I have acceptable but I have been unable to communicate with a human being or anyone other than a "support" person who sends me a link to the upgrade page.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wwob View Post
    I was trying to save the $200 plus difference between MS Office Professional 2007 and 2010. I downloaded MS Office 2007 and installed it from "ALBERTA.LTD". It seems to work just fine. However, the key is unacceptable to MS for the upgrade. I have tried to contact MS by phone, email, and chat to see if there was some way to make the software I have acceptable but I have been unable to communicate with a human being or anyone other than a "support" person who sends me a link to the upgrade page.

This is exactly why I said it's a gamble to purchase 2007 with the thought to get a free upgrade to 2010. Once 2010 was released it appears most of those copies of 2007 that qualified for the free upgrade were very limited in quantity. MS made this offer to induce people to continue to purchase 2007 just prior to the 2010 release, but now that 2010 is released they have no incentive to continue this program. If I were you I would continue to attempt to contact MS. I'm sure they have been pretty busy with very similar calls to yours.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted