Thread: Desktop Files

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In Windows 7, after I start the computer, log in, and the programs open for use, I've been getting the desktop file opening up automatically. It is a nuisance, since the desktop itself is already open, and I have to click it closed every single time I start the computer. This started happening a couple months ago. Please tell me how to stop this from happening.

glory

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Explorer, go to Tools | Folder Option, select the View tab, scroll about 2/3rds of the way down and make sure "Restore previous folder windows at logon" is unchecked.

If it is already unchecked, the try running msconfig (open Start menu and type 'msconfig'), on the Startup tab look for an entry that says "Desktop" and if you find it, uncheck it.

If these don't work, you might have to get autoruns from sysinternals to see where the desktop startup is lurking.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The option in Explorer "Restore previous folder windows at logon" was unchecked. I could not find the entry on the Startup tab that said "Desktop". I will have to try autoruns next. Thank you for your suggestions.
    Glory

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've tried Autoruns now, but cannot find anything regarding desktop listed, except desktop as it relates to Avira, my antivirus program. Thanks again. I'll keep looking and trying things.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory L Adams View Post
    I've tried Autoruns now, but cannot find anything regarding desktop listed, except desktop as it relates to Avira, my antivirus program.
    In the Logon tab of Autoruns look for an entry where the program has been uninstalled or a file referenced has been moved.

If you are unsure about the entries post a screenshot of the Logon tab.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have two entries to run by you.

File not found: rdpclip
    and
    File not found: C\Program Files (x86)\The Weather Channel FW\Desktop\Desktop Weather.exe

I have tried to delete the Weather Channel, but must still have bits of it somewhere as it keeps showing up in places. I do not know what rdpclip is. What do you think? I greatly appreciate your suggestions.
    Glory