New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,

I've been a lurker to the Lounge ever since it first got revealed to Windows Secrets subscribers, but haven't participated much so far. Now, though, I need some help.

I have a computer which triple-boots between Linux, Windows XP, and Windows 7 RC, with the default being Linux. (I will be getting rid of the RC of Windows 7 at some point, since it'll expire soon and I don't have a license for the full thing on this computer.) The trouble is, I recently switched from a PS/2 keyboard which was breaking to a USB keyboard and, of course, USB drivers haven't been loaded by the time the boot menu shows up, so I can't select anything - I have to wait for the default to load.

I can get around this by enabling the legacy USB keyboard support in the BIOS setup, which in my BIOS is done by selecting for USB Keyboard support to be provided by the BIOS. This allows me to use the keyboard to select which OS I want to boot, but it seems to have a cost: My Windows XP installation no longer boots. It gets as far as beginning to fade in the Windows XP logo, but it freezes just after it starts, so all you can see is a faint representation of the logo on the screen. Everything else is frozen; the hard disk doesn't do anything, and my only option is to reboot the computer.

It works if I reboot Windows XP into Safe Mode, and it also works if I set up the boot menu to *automatically* select Windows XP to boot, and then set the BIOS' legacy setting off (that is, to "OS" rather than "BIOS"). While I still wouldn't be able to use the keyboard at the boot menu, this time the boot menu automatically boots XP without any input from me and XP quite happily loads, which suggests that there's a conflict between the BIOS legacy keyboard setting and XP's method of loading USB drivers. (That said, I know Safe Mode still loads USB drivers too because my mouse is also a USB mouse and has the legacy setting off, and XP's Safe Mode loads that up fine... so maybe there's something else going on here.)

The problem doesn't occur with either of my other installed OSes - Linux and Windows 7 RC - so it seems it might be an XP issue.

Some more info: I'm using Windows XP SP3, and for the most part I keep it very up to date with its patches. There are only a few patches I haven't yet installed for various reasons: 3 patches for the Microsoft .NET Framework; the Microsoft Browser Choice Screen Update patch; and KB968389, a patch that would "help strengthen authentication credentials in specific scenarios". None of these could conceivably have anything to do with my boot problem, as far as I can tell.

I Googled to see if I could find anything to help but the closest thing I could come up with was http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=46021 - but my keyboard is a wired one, and it looks like it hangs at a slightly different place in that thread.

Does anybody have any ideas for anything I could try doing, other than not enabling legacy support? I'd like to be able to select the OS I use easily.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie Hamilton View Post
    Hi all,

I've been a lurker to the Lounge ever since it first got revealed to Windows Secrets subscribers, but haven't participated much so far. Now, though, I need some help.

I have a computer which triple-boots between Linux, Windows XP, and Windows 7 RC, with the default being Linux. (I will be getting rid of the RC of Windows 7 at some point, since it'll expire soon and I don't have a license for the full thing on this computer.) The trouble is, I recently switched from a PS/2 keyboard which was breaking to a USB keyboard and, of course, USB drivers haven't been loaded by the time the boot menu shows up, so I can't select anything - I have to wait for the default to load.

I can get around this by enabling the legacy USB keyboard support in the BIOS setup, which in my BIOS is done by selecting for USB Keyboard support to be provided by the BIOS. This allows me to use the keyboard to select which OS I want to boot, but it seems to have a cost: My Windows XP installation no longer boots. It gets as far as beginning to fade in the Windows XP logo, but it freezes just after it starts, so all you can see is a faint representation of the logo on the screen. Everything else is frozen; the hard disk doesn't do anything, and my only option is to reboot the computer.

It works if I reboot Windows XP into Safe Mode, and it also works if I set up the boot menu to *automatically* select Windows XP to boot, and then set the BIOS' legacy setting off (that is, to "OS" rather than "BIOS"). While I still wouldn't be able to use the keyboard at the boot menu, this time the boot menu automatically boots XP without any input from me and XP quite happily loads, which suggests that there's a conflict between the BIOS legacy keyboard setting and XP's method of loading USB drivers. (That said, I know Safe Mode still loads USB drivers too because my mouse is also a USB mouse and has the legacy setting off, and XP's Safe Mode loads that up fine... so maybe there's something else going on here.)

The problem doesn't occur with either of my other installed OSes - Linux and Windows 7 RC - so it seems it might be an XP issue.

Some more info: I'm using Windows XP SP3, and for the most part I keep it very up to date with its patches. There are only a few patches I haven't yet installed for various reasons: 3 patches for the Microsoft .NET Framework; the Microsoft Browser Choice Screen Update patch; and KB968389, a patch that would "help strengthen authentication credentials in specific scenarios". None of these could conceivably have anything to do with my boot problem, as far as I can tell.

I Googled to see if I could find anything to help but the closest thing I could come up with was http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=46021 - but my keyboard is a wired one, and it looks like it hangs at a slightly different place in that thread.

Does anybody have any ideas for anything I could try doing, other than not enabling legacy support? I'd like to be able to select the OS I use easily.
    you might want to search the net for driver support for your keyboard OR a bios update for your BIOS.