Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    When in doubt, check the Lounge!

Our home based business needs a second computer. We currently use a one and a half year old HP laptop for everything as we were "in flux" location-wise for a while. My question: would you recommend a second laptop or a desktop? I lean toward the latter despite its larger size because it's what we've always used as our main computer, overheating is not an issue and I prefer a separate full size keyboard. My business partner likes the idea of a second laptop because it takes up less space, prices are better and both machines can be mobile. This last isn't a factor really since any business travel is done together (partner is also spouse!) so we would never take 2 computers. I also plan to network them so all data is joint.

A related question: I've been seeing a new (to me at least) design from HP called an All in One computer which combines the space saving features of a laptop with a separate keyboard. It seems a tad pricey, but would it combine the best features of both?

There probably isn't one right answer, but I would be very interested to hear what Loungers have to say ::

Many thanks for any input provided,

Linda

Thanks
    Desktop
    Full ATX desktop with plenty of backup and storage space for a stable business location...
    Something dependable, fast, and with some terrific monitor resolution realestate.
    Laptops are ok for travel, but they realy don't compare to a desktop in terms of comfortable use and reliability,
    especially for a business user. A two laptop system is a bad idea.
    Sometimes larger is better and an office computer should fill all your needs now and in 3-4 years from now as well.
    The desktop along with two separate laptops; one for you and one for your husband would be the ideal.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Irene,

Now days a lap is just as good as a desktop. In terms of computing power and convenience a laptop is perhaps the better choice. However the desktop provides a lot more flexibility in terms of hardware and changing the same. If you're not into taking a desktop apart and "playing" around with the hardware then I see no reason to take up the space that a desktop uses. You can always use a standalone keyboard and/ or screen with the laptop. The only major advantage of a desktop is the ability to repair it when and if the time comes. Also a self built high end desktop can be made at a lot less cost for the comparable laptop of the same computing power.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    There probably isn't one right answer, but I would be very interested to hear what Loungers have to say ::
    Linda,
    Hello..... DESKTOP !!! ...Reason , you have so much more flexibility when it comes to
    1. Adding hard drives, or replacing one that has gone bad (piece of cake)
    2. adding another CD\DVD RW
    3. adding or changing Video cards
    4. adding a "SATA" extender card ....so you can add more stuff
    5. Having the ability to use the new VGA card (video card that you have added #3) to run your Flat panel TV as a new monitor.
    6. Adding a digital TV adapter card
    7. No batteries ! other that the small thing somewhere inside.
    8. Can change out the Power Supply if needed to a larger (also piece of cake)
    9. Add Ram easily.
    10. If you get the correct CPU you can run 32 and or 64 bit OS's
    I could go on .... but if i had the choice .................... Desk Top HOO .. AHH Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As it's your business and there is always the possibility of you travelling separately, I'd plumb for a laptop.
    I would also buy a SAN for your backups and anything you need to share. The SAN should be physically separate from the laptops to provide additional security against theft / fire.
    Another SAN.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If it already hasn't been said, no room and needs to be mobile, laptop. Biggest value for the dollar (lots more power and options for fewer greenbacks), longest lived, upgradable and adaptable, better dependability, desktop. You can get really elegant yet powerful small footprint computers like the HP Slimline and Acer Aspire X series, add a passive cooled low profile video card if needed, a 24-28 inch widescreen monitor ($169 to $269) and it beats a laptop any day for productivity.

Thanks
    I also have both desktop and 2 laptops. I am on the laptop 100 % of the time. The desktop tends to be a storage device now. Yes it is more adaptable, can be modified, if you are into that, and all the things Fred mentioned. But bottom line is what will you use? I use my laptop ALL THE TIME! I'm in front of the TV right now watching a recorded show and sending you a reply. I just use the laptop more, it's more convienient. That's just my 2 cents.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I work from home and use laptops exclusively nowadays. When at home I use an external monitor (as 2nd monitor) and external keyboard. When I want to work onsite at a client's place, I just pick up the laptop and go, and I am sure I have all my files.

I have just bought a Toshiba dynadock, which provides a docking station via USB.
    Regards
    John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, it all depends on how you'll use it and what the minimum requirements are or are expected to be in the future, how long you expect something to last before it needs upgrading, and what is an acceptable cost ratio.

I have three desktops connected to the 42" flat panel and interwoven with more computer access points thru remote desktop. I would be lost if I couldn't watch my Dark Knight and Avatar on BluRay, while surfing, while editing DVD quality and hi-def video or tons of audio recordings, while rendering video, while watching TWIT TV or listening to a podcast, while editing photos, while watching any number of archived videos on an external drive on the network and of course, gloriously nice 1920x1080 online gaming...heck, I even watch a little regular TV once in a while!

It would take several $2000+ laptops to take the place of my $450 enhanced refurbs and be able to accomplish the same tasks, and they would not last as long either. I might be a bit on the extreme side of things though since I've recently begun streaming BluRay quality video through my network and I'm spoiled rotten by it now.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow! First,my apologies for not getting back to all of you - for some reason, I wasn't getting email notification of replies (despite checking that option - it happens sometimes for no apparent reason!!). Second, thank you for all the thoughtful, detailed replies and input. Sounds as if there is really no right answer (was hoping it was a black and white kind of thing but, understandably, it's not!); will just have to absorb all that you have said and go from there.

A couple of asides: although one obvious advantage of a laptop is that it's mobile, it's always used at my desk, unless we're heading to a meeting so I don't take much advantage of its mobility. Also, we really do use it just for business functions - no videos or hookups to TV or any of that. Occasionally, I've watched a DVD on it but that's about it. Not sure how that affects the decision, but...

Will do some more pros and cons figuring at this end. Certainly will post back with decision!!

Thanks again to all of you!!

Linda

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd sway towards the Desktop. Although there are good laptops available with rreasonable size screens and low power consumption, I still see big advantages of a desktop.

You won't find a laptop with a good 22" or 24" LED backlit screen?

You can find relatively compact, eco-friendly desktops (which you can always place under or behind your desk), so real estate need not be a worry.

Screens are usually VESA compliant so they can be wall mounted to free up more desk space (and make them slightly harder to steal).

You get a huge range of full sized keyboard and great range of mice or trackerballs.

A desktop is less easily stolen by an opportunist theif.

Desktops can be easily upgraded if you run short of disk space or need more memory.

It is easy to run dual screens (or even three or four screens) with a desktop.

OTOH, its a bit of a buXXer if you need to take your work home!

They use a bit more power and generate a bit more heat.

Thanks
    If I could only have two computers in the house, I would choose one desktop and one laptop (which is basically what I opted for). This mix allows one to enjoy the advantages of both types without being hamstrung with the disadvantages of either. There are occasions I do not want to be confined to my desk, and enjoy having a laptop. And there are times when I appreciate the expandability of my desktop. I would be perfectly content without the use of one or the other if one of them were to be down for repairs, but I would not want to be without either for long.

I tend to get longer useful life out of a desktop because I can do an upgrade to max out the specs on the original motherboard by changing the processor, adding more ram, and a new video card. I have a seven year old P4 that is still very useful due to selective upgrading, however I have not used it much in the last year.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Terry and Gerald,

Thanks for your thoughtful additions. You both summed up where my thinking had been going since first pondering this decision and then absorbing all the Loungers' input. Although I personally would not likely not be adding to motherboards or playing around inside the tower, I rather like having the capability of being able to do so. Our previous laptop had a red screen issue that could likely have been corrected with a video card - if it had been a desktop! Also, the desktop's screen size and clarity is a big advantage for me.

Think I'll go with the "one of each" solution and make the new computer a desktop, keeping the laptop as well. I'm sure there will have to be some adjustments made in set up and file sharing when we go with 2 computers since we have always had just one. Luckily, there are places in the Lounge to help me through all of that, too!

Many thanks for so much relevant and helpful input!!!

Linda

Thanks
    If all you will be using the computers for is business then why not consider both a desktop and another laptop?
    I'm sure you can manage to find both a laptop and a desktop for your needs and pocket books as well.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Exactly, Clint. Why not both? That way we're covered. Have found the links you and others have included very helpful for researching computers (lenovo is a company new to me) and other hardware I'm going to need like SANs, which I'd not really understood previously. Thanks to all the helpful (as always) Loungers!

Linda

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast