Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know whether this is the right forum for this question, but here goes:

I am a Snowbird, spending six months in Florida and the rest in Indiana. Because I do a lot of online gaming, no laptop has enough graphics power to be useful. I have been dragging my tower back and forth each year - having a monitor in each place, but I am tired of that. I have built a new box which I would like to leave in Florida, and just take one HDD back and forth. These computers have different brand MB and CPU, so they are not at all alike, although they both run Win 7. I am looking for some way to be able to make the systems and software stay synchronized as much as possible, but the one in Florida is not running when we are in Indiana and vice-versa. The data is not any problem, but it is all the applications (which get updated and changed in the box I am using, but not the other one) which pose the issue.

I have been thinking about using a disk image of one to either clone or restore the other, then reloading the proper Win 7 over the top of the image. Does anyone think that will work? Does anyone have any other ideas?
    Mike
    I can always use good information

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you weren't a gamer, then a virtual pc install that used the native os as host would be perfect but performance for gaming just wouldn't be there.

You can do what is called a bare metal restore to systems with different hardware (Acronis w/plugin and ShadowProtect are capable) but you still lose a lot of the software application authorizations because they also detect different hardware and assume its an illegal install. Even systems with identical hardware are recognized as different and are often rejected by the OS as well (even though they will boot up just fine).

As far as I know there is no really good no fuss no muss solution except to carry a desktop back and forth (or get a high end gaming laptop). If you just had to carry the case back and forth and got something like a modified (graphically souped up) HP Slimline or Acer Aspire mini-desktop...they're pretty packed and only take up about 2 or 3 times the space of a laptop. I have low profile passive graphics installed in them and they are very decent gamers and stay cool and quiet...but there's always the worry that the proprietary PS will go out and be very difficult to replace...but so far so good.