Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Way back when SP3 was new, there was tons of negative publicity about install problems. Fearlessly, I turned off updates and stuck with SP2 until now. Missed out on all the install problems. Never had any problems of any kind period. But, time marches on and the future arrived, and I now need SP3 for CS5. So; is the current SP3 now problem free??? Are there tricks that I should know of??? Alternatives???
    Michael

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Backup your system before beginning the install.

Download the complete install package from Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers. Don't be put off by the name. Burn it to a CD.

Review Information about Windows XP Service Pack 3 and the links there before the install.

Run Windows/Microsoft update after the install until you are not offered any more updates.

Don't update any other hardware or software (other than anti-virus definition updates) for a some time until you feel comfortable that the system is performing OK.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    SP-3 was never really the problem. The problems were with the stability and health of the set ups of the many with whom SP-3 was installed upon and their lack of foresight in the use of backups.

The most reliable & stable way to install XP, SP-3 is as part of a total clean install in a very minimalistic software environment.
    The Right Way To Install Windows XP

If you absolutely have to upgrade as is:
    Before you begin your XP, SP-3 installation, remove as much uneeded software and junk as possible. Temporarily reverse those "deep-geek" like system tweaks. Consider disabling antivirus and antimalware programs that run continuously in the background, or any software with deep rooted system hooks with a high risk for software confliction issues.

Make sure your proverbial house is in order prior to the upgrade.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Burn it to a CD.
    One of the things I tend to do is run from a separate partition on the hard drive. I tend to store these things there rather than on CD's.
    Comments???

Consider disabling antivirus and antimalware programs that run continuously in the background
    A common suggestion I came across is to boot into safe mode and install SP3 from there.
    Comments???

Also I came across the suggestion that in safe mode install, it is good to manually disconnect the internet to minimize vulnerability due to NO firewall and NO antivirus etc.
    Comments???

Temporarily reverse those "deep-geek" like system tweaks.
    I have already installed Photoshop CS5. In order to update it, the updates require SP3 on XP.
    Is CS5 "deep geek"???

Lastly, I am planning to use Acronis True Image as my backup.
    Comments???

Michael
    Obviously this is a major change for me.

Thanks
    The most reliable & stable way to install XP, SP-3 is as part of a total clean install in a very minimalistic software environment.
    The Right Way To Install Windows XP
    Take the time and get it done right. Clean install. Nothing beats a freshly installed os and software.
    Acronis will do just fine.

The Explorer: Fred's System Setup Secrets
    Read specifically about his use of and timing for performing imaging backups.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelA View Post
    One of the things I tend to do is run from a separate partition on the hard drive. I tend to store these things there rather than on CD's.
    Comments???

A common suggestion I came across is to boot into safe mode and install SP3 from there.
    Comments???

Also I came across the suggestion that in safe mode install, it is good to manually disconnect the internet to minimize vulnerability due to NO firewall and NO antivirus etc.
    Comments???

Lastly, I am planning to use Acronis True Image as my backup.
    Comments???
    Saving the file to a disk is fine. The point of saving it is to not have to download it again if you need it.

I've only used safe mode once to install SP3 and that was only as a last resort. The only thing I generally disable is any real time antimalware scanning (A/V, anti-spyware, etc.).

True Image is fine for making an image of the system.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a good possibility you are making too big a deal out of this. I would image the machine and just install sp3 with both eyes shut. If everything just works you are good to go. If it does not, you can restore your image and start the deep cleaning and/or fresh install. I have installed sp3 hundreds of times and have only had trouble on a handful of machines....

(I wish the .net framework patches went as well )

Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a good link to review
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ice-pack-3-sp3
    it covers the various options including using the stand alone download and has a good before you begin section.
    Acronis is a very good choice, and of course create a restore point prior to beginning( a good practice for any install). Usually if you run into problems you can boot into safe mode and go to add remove programs and remove the sp3 update to get back to where you were.
    Good luck!
    registered Linux user:476595

Thanks
    Slipstreaming Windows XP with Service Pack 3 is something to look into for future reference.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Follow Up
    Mid next week Microsoft will end all support for XP systems pre SP3. Meaning, Unless you have SP3 installed, you won't get any support from Microsoft. ~16% of XP users still cling to SP2
    My computer habits and mannerisms significantly minimize infections. I run firewall, AV, Super anti spyware, and Malware Bytes anti malware. I also wrap both the ISP app & Firefox in sandboxie for all internet sessions. Not much gets through that kind of defense. I have not received malware or viruses in 5 years now. At least, nothing outside the sandbox. Hence, I had no defensive reasons for upgrading to SP3.
    My reason for upgrading had nothing to do with defending against bad guys. My reason was simply because Photoshop CS5 requires SP3 to work properly.
    After reading all the posts here, I chose my upgrade plan. I made an Acronis image of the computer before starting. I also verified that the image was good and recallable. I downloaded the SP3 file and chose to run it locally to have it available for future contingencies. Once burned, lesson learned well and the hard way. It was easiest for me to boot into safe mode and upgrade from there. None of the firewall and/or other possible interferers run in safe mode. I felt that was simpler and faster than trying to find and individually kill interferers. The upgrade went in typical Microsoft smoothness(slow), but complete. It saved all the replaced system files in a folder on the C drive. It did set a system restore point to revert the system to pre SP3 condition. I thought that was nice of them, although if I ever need to revert I will recall my Acronis image instead. Still, it is nice of them to do that. After rebooting to normal mode I verified that the system now indicates XP SP3.
    I then opened Word2007 & edited a couple files and saved them. Then viewed them to verify that doc editing works OK. I then opened sandboxie and went online with ISP & Firefox wrapped in sandbox. All worked OK. Went to Windows Secrets Lounge and posted OK. Then went offline and updated Photoshop CS5.
    Although CS5 is very new, there are already updates for it. Adobe says very clearly that SP3 is necessary for any updates to work. It is a non related coincidence(perhaps), that Adobe has bugs in it's initial updating utility. The bugs prevent Adobe updates from functioning. The bugs manifest differently for Mac vs Windows. They also manifest differently for XP vs Win7. The fixes are different for each system. I downloaded the XP fix from Adobe forums and and copied the 3 included files as directed. I then successfully updated all 4 available Adobe updates. I then used Photoshop CS5 to edit a few images.
    As of now, everything that I can see works OK. Unless I am missing something, I think I am good to go. If there is a more rigorous checkout missing, please let me know.
    I appreciate all comments.
    Michael

Administrator
    Thanks
    Seems like you've got a winner!! Congratulations. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't recall whether I already installed SP3 or not - can anyone tell me a simple way of finding out?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive Page View Post
    I can't recall whether I already installed SP3 or not - can anyone tell me a simple way of finding out?
    Right click on My Computer, then click on Properties. On the General page it will have what your OS/SP versions are.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One trick that can be used to do the update especially if you have to do this for "civilians" is to

1 have a nice large portable hard drive to stage from and a bootable copy of your backup solution
    2 grab the network install packages for the SPs you commonly have to deal with (XP Vista and 7 when it has one)
    3 download Autopatcher* and build an update "farm"
    4 do your pre update prep
    5 drop the network connection and disable all the bells whistles and gongs
    6 run the SP update and then run Autopatcher
    7 restore the Bells and Whistles

* a note here
    A if you have some other tool that works subsitute the point is to have all of the updates up to the last "patch tuesday" ready for install
    B Autopatcher pulls its payload files directly from the OEM (Microsoft Sun Adobe ect) so it is in fact quite "legal"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have performed numerous problem-free SP3 installs both from local sources and over the network using Windows Updates. The method is simple, but in some cases not easy to accomplish- disable ALL non-native Windows processes before initiating the SP3 (or any other service pack) install procedure.

All "security" turned off and all 3rd party background processes stopped (printers and other peripherals as well- only plug and play devices running).

Process Explorer is a big help in this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx

Service Packs are designed to integrate seamlessly into Windows, but often 3rd party software can create a conflict. Whether for my own systems or for those of our company's customers, I've never experienced a problem when the above procedure has been followed.
    Neurons that fire together, wire together.
    Posted with Opera

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast