2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm doing something simple but not getting the result that I expect. What am I doing wrong?

I have an existing Access 2007 application, upgraded from a previous MDB database to accdb formats. In that database, I have a number of records, each of which has a couple of fields allocated for photos (OLE Object fields). I'm sure that in the past I was able to drag-and-drop the desired photos into the appropriate records, but not longer can I do that. WHen I drag-and-drop, I get text in the field saying "Package", but when I preview the report that is supposed to print the photos (along with some other text), the photo fields are blank on the report. Photos inserted when the database was in MDB form are still there, and they print on the reports!

I only have a few records in the database, so I'm not bumping against the 2GB limit.

Can anyone give me a clue as to where to go with this?

Thanks
    Bob Chapman

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    One thing you may want to check is whether you have the lastest (SP2) applied to your Office installation. There were numerous fixes in SP1 and SP2 that may apply here. If you were using the .MDB format, I think the drag and drop still works. Another option you have in an .ACCDB format database is to use the Attachment data type which lets you store photos and other file objects without bloating it considerably. The existance of that feature may be the reason for drag and drop not working as you expect. To learn more about the Attachment data type, see Attachment Object and How To Include Attachments in an Access Database.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Wendell
    Bob

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wendell-

OK, in splitting the DB into 3 parts, I found one major problem, which was that some photos were ginormous: I removed them, getting the total DB size down to 450MB. So now I can leave it in a single DB, which is good.

With that smaller total size, I can cut/paste a photo into the appropriate field in the record, but when I display that record in a report, what I get is the filename, not the photo. And it is the filename, not a hyperlink. There's something here that I'm notunderstanding. Any cllues for me?

Thanks
    Bob

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh, yes, I am on automatic update from Microsoft, so everything I have is up to date.
    Bob

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wendell helped me solve a problem of database size, but I'm still having problems with photos in Access.
    I'm running XP-SP3 and Access 2007, everything on Micrososft automatic update, so everything is to the current release level ( I have checked this!)
    My database has a field in each record for a photo. When I drag-and-drop a photo into that field, I get the filename inserted, but not the photo. And of course when I pull a report using that field I get the filename, not the photo --- the photo would be MUCH more useful to me <grin>.
    It works similarly when I tried upgrading the database to .accdb format. And also when I tried to use Attachments in the .accdb format. I can't get the photos to either display in Print Preview or to Print.
    I think I'm missing something basic here, but can't find it.
    Any help?
    Thank
    Bob Chapman

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When you embed a photo in a table, you don't see the image when you view the record in the data grid. What is typically done is to use an Image control to display the photo in a form or on a report. If you actually embed the photo in the record then you should be able to set that field as the control source and have it display. Another technique is to use a text field to store the path to the location, and then dynamically set the path of the file in the image control when you pull up a record. The latter is generally considered the best as it doesn't cause database bloat - however it does present a file management issue if you decide to change the filing scheme you use for storing the photos. We had some sample databases that show you how to use that technique in older posts but both of the ones I found seem to have been lost in the conversion from Woody's Loundbe to the Windows Secrets Lounge. I'll do some further digging and see what I can find - one example that does use embedded photos is the Northwind database that comes with older versions of Access.

OK - I found a post which has a sample database - see this thread.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft also has some excellent instructions on how to use text fields to link to and display pictures here.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I converted to Access 2007, I had the same problem. Turns out I was using a new photo program (Roxio) where the photo didn't show (only an icon). I went back to Irfan, which I was using for Access 2003, changed the image size of the photo, copied it, then pasted it in to OLE field. That worked for me.