Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Files

  1. #1
    Gold Lounger Roderunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Scotland.
    Posts
    3,462
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 216 Times in 183 Posts
    Hi Loungers, Why has my Laptop so many files compared with my Desktop. Please wait for post #2 before replying.

    [attachment=89157:wsl..JPG]
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

  2. #2
    Gold Lounger Roderunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Scotland.
    Posts
    3,462
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 216 Times in 183 Posts
    Thanks for waiting.

    [attachment=89159:44.JPG]
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

  3. #3
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Burrton, KS, USA
    Posts
    833
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    how do the WinSxS folders compare between the two machines?

    This is absolutely not a fair comparison in my mind. The Vista machine has 2 service packs out already. How do the clean install dates compare (not the last image refresh).

  4. #4
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Burrton, KS, USA
    Posts
    833
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    If the Vista machine is running SP2, you may get somewhere googling the following: Windows Component Clean Tool (COMPCLN)

  5. #5
    Plutonium Lounger Medico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,631
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 936 Times in 856 Posts
    I do not think it a fair comparison as well. Vista versus Win 7, 2 extra apps on Laptop, much larger used size (826 MB versus 556 MB) for apps. As mercyh states, more service packs, etc. It still appears you have enough free space available, even on the laptop, it appears you still have approx 1/3 of your total disk available. If you start having problems with available space on the laptop, look into a bigger HD. If you were comparing Vista to Vista or Win 7 to Win 7, then I would question what's going on.

    I would also question if one is set up to hibernate and the other is not. The hibersys file can get very large.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted


    Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)


    Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

  6. #6
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Burrton, KS, USA
    Posts
    833
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I would read your question as being more academic then actually a problem. I think it is interesting but to me it is about what I would expect.

    If you are into academic questions you could spend some time studying and understanding what is happening with WinSxS and you would come away with a much deeper understanding of how file systems work.

  7. #7
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South of the North Pole
    Posts
    919
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm also wondering when each system was a new install (unless I missed that) adn how well maintained each is. That can make a difference as well. Either way, I'm struck by how few files each system has, hardly lived in at all! Several of my systems clear 1 million files and I don't think I have any at less than 160,000. If everything is working well, it is all academic.

  8. #8
    Gold Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Johnson City, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    3,202
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 215 Times in 202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi Loungers, Why has my Laptop so many files compared with my Desktop. Please wait for post #2 before replying.
    Roderunner,
    Hello... I can't answer your question ...but can provide you with a free tool (link) that will help you see where the problem is http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml the program is called "Tree Size Free" with it can help determine what is up with your PC Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

    None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

  9. #9
    Plutonium Lounger Medico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,631
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 936 Times in 856 Posts
    Fred, Hello once again.

    This is a new one for me. I have saved the link so when I have a few minutes I will check how mine looks. Thanks for the link. Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted


    Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)


    Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

  10. #10
    Plutonium Lounger Medico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,631
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 936 Times in 856 Posts
    Fred, Great tool. Here is what I get:

    [attachment=89161:2010-07-07_1812.png]

    Very informative. Thanks for the link. Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted


    Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)


    Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

  11. #11
    Gold Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Johnson City, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    3,202
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 215 Times in 202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Fred, Hello once again.

    This is a new one for me. I have saved the link so when I have a few minutes I will check how mine looks. Thanks for the link. Ted
    Ted ,Roderunner,
    Hello... you can click on, the "Scan" tab and select any drive that is on your "OS"( as well as lots of other options ) Another note ... you have to take ownership of some of the folders in order to see whats in them. (just thought to save Ya All some time) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

    None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

  12. #12
    Gold Lounger Roderunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Scotland.
    Posts
    3,462
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 216 Times in 183 Posts
    Thanks to all for your replys up to post #11. I will answer them but not now as its 0110hrs local time.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

  13. #13
    Plutonium Lounger Medico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,631
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 936 Times in 856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Thanks to all for your replys up to post #11. I will answer them but not now as its 0110hrs local time.
    Get to bed, you deserve it. good night!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted


    Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)


    Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

  14. #14
    Gold Lounger Roderunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Scotland.
    Posts
    3,462
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 216 Times in 183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    how do the WinSxS folders compare between the two machines?
    This is absolutely not a fair comparison in my mind. The Vista machine has 2 service packs out already. How do the clean install dates compare (not the last image refresh).

    Where do I find WinSxS folders.

    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    If the Vista machine is running SP2, you may get somewhere googling the following: Windows Component Clean Tool (COMPCLN)

    I have used this tool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I would also question if one is set up to hibernate and the other is not. The hibersys file can get very large.

    Neither of my PC's 'sleep' or hibernate at any time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    I'm also wondering when each system was a new install (unless I missed that) adn how well maintained each is. That can make a difference as well. Either way, I'm struck by how few files each system has, hardly lived in at all! Several of my systems clear 1 million files and I don't think I have any at less than 160,000. If everything is working well, it is all academic.

    Laptop clean installed within 7 days. Desktop approx. 1 month

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    Roderunner,
    Hello... I can't answer your question ...but can provide you with a free tool that will hetp you see where the problem is http://www.jam-softw...are/index.shtml the program is called "Tree Size Free" with it can help determine what is up with your PC Regards Fred
    Thank once again Fred, your posts are as welcome as rain in the desert.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

  15. #15
    Gold Lounger Roderunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Scotland.
    Posts
    3,462
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 216 Times in 183 Posts
    This is what Fred's tool found.

    [attachment=89165:WSL.JPG]
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •