New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm helping a neighbor set up a Windows 7 PC that someone gave him, and I'm stumped. The desktop background is a web page showing a broken link, and there is no address bar & I can't find out where this setting is. I want to remove it, but I've looked through the display settings, searched via google, and tried changing the background & theme.

Does anyone have any idea where I can look to remove this setting ?

Thanks

Thanks
    Right click on the desktop and select "personalize". From there you can modify or change the desktop settings, including desktop background.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did this, but couldn't find any place that showed a web link. I changed the background, but the white box showing "This page cannot be displayed" won't go away. I appreciate your (& any more) suggestions.

Thanks
    An odd situation but never the less an answer possibly here;My link
    IF that doesn't work for you try this;# Go to control panel -> Add or remove user accounts -> Create a new account (you need to be the administrator to do this properly) -> make a new “Administrator account”
    # Switch users
    # Go to Add or remove user accounts again -> make the other administrator a “standard user” -> then click on that account icon and delete it (unless you wish to keep the old account that doesn’t work properly)
    Hope one of these helps.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Did a Windows Installation disk come with this free PC? Or does it have a recovery partition? If it has an original Win 7 installation disk you might try a startup repair. You may be able to create a System Repair disk (Control Panel, Back up and Restore) and use this for the repair.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by not given View Post
    I did this, but couldn't find any place that showed a web link. I changed the background, but the white box showing "This page cannot be displayed" won't go away. I appreciate your (& any more) suggestions.
    Did you just change the background or did you change the theme?

Is the logged on account a member of the administrator's group?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are comfortable at using regedit, run it (as an administrator), go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop. Clear the value of Wallpaper (not the key, just the value of it - doubleclick to open, then click delete). Close the regedit and log off and on again. You should now have a solid colour background.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Great replies, thanks to all. I'll try these when I return to my neighbor's PC.