2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a relatively new Windows 7 PC that is experiencing occasional BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) errors. The BSOD's always occur at shutdown and always have the same Bugcheck (9F - Driver Power State Failure). The most likely problem seems to be a third party driver, but I'm not sure WHICH driver. I can run WinDbg, including the standard command !analyze -v, and receive a lot of analysis data. However, I have not been able to find a well-written and comprehensive source of information to analyze the output of WinDbg. This seems odd to me since there are literally hundreds of BSOD's on Windows 7 reported on the internet, and many websites and bulletin board discussions devoted to analyzing them. But nowhere that I have found is there some sort of written guide for HOW to analyze this data. So my question is: does anybody know of a written source of information (possibly within Microsoft) for analyzing Bugcheck data? (Sample quesitons that I have are: What are the meanings of the following terms: Faulting Thread, Flink/Blink chain invalid, PNP_Triage, Lock Address? How can I interpret the Stack_Text - for example: nt!PnpDeviceCompletionQueueGetCompletedRequest+0x3 5 ? ) None of these questions seem all that difficult to answer, but as I said, I haven't found any source of information that DOES answer these questions. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Thanks
    Greetings. Pehaps you could try "whocrashed" sofware to analyse your crash dump? While not perfect, it provides a remarkably good chance for identifying the cause(s) of BSODs.
    Once downloaded and installed, you run it in windows Safe mode after rebooting immediately after getting a BSOD.

You can download the free version (version 2.10) at thye following site: http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Good luck!
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use the following: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html it will find and display most bluescreen .dmp files in a human readable format. It does not have to actually be insstalled (just running the .exe will get it running) and no safe mode boots, etc. are needed.

The crash does need to write a .dmp file though. Some power and memory crashes happen in such a manner that the machine cannot save a .dmp file so you will have nothing to read.