New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently had my IE address book hijacked and was given the following fix by a friend. Will this really work??

I use a method printed in PC magazine many years ago and it still works. I booted my computer a couple of days after my daughter's e-mail was hacked and a message came up "unable to access email address", so I know it works.

Insert an invalid email address at the top (I also created one for the end) of your email address book ie:

"1111@xxx.com" for the beginning and "zzzz@xxx.com:" for the end.

Trojan worms looking to hack an email address book use an algorithm to search for addressess in an address book alphabetically, but a hacker who knows or learns of this can just as well write code to search in reverse order. So, although the original article did not include the latter - I thought it best to add it.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Once malware is on your computer your data is no longer your data, there is nothing you can do about this.
    To prevent malware arriving use a good anti virus and scan everything you download / load in the CD /. connect as USB. Use a 3rd party firewall that prevents unauthorised programs connecting to the internet, i.e. ZoneAlarm, Kaspersky etc.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Establishing good habits; Like not clicking on email links, opening attatchments from unknown or unreliable users, and safeguarding
    the use of your email address by not giving it out as freely are some very good starting points too.

Evan the best security apps/modifications can be circumvented by bad habits and carelessness.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by naddraw View Post
    I recently had my IE address book hijacked and was given the following fix by a friend. Will this really work??
    I think the idea of adding an invalid address was that if malware was trying to send spam using your mail program, then the messages would not be sent successfully. Since it is much more efficient nowadays to send your entire address book to a distant location, I doubt that an invalid address would protect you any more, if it ever really did.