Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Everyone,

Recently my power adapter for a Gateway M-1624 laptop has fried, and I was shopping around for a replacement. I've decided I want an original replacement and went looking for one. But I seem to have stumbled unto doubt. When purchasing an adapter for this particular model, the site has two adapters listed. They both have the same input Voltage and Amps, but different output. There is a 19V, 4.74Amps model and a 19V, 3.42 model.

Now when I read the specs on my adapter, it turns out it has a 19V, 3.42Amps output. However the pictures don't seem to match up. Both adapters on the site look similar, but the 19V, 4.74Amps model has a third prong on the plug (the round ground pin), were the other plug does not. Now the plug I currently own is a 19V, 3.42Amps adapter but, it does have the third pin on the plug.

I'm not quite certain whether I should go for the 19V, 3.42 adapter that matches the one that originally came with the laptop (minus one pin) or if choosing the other adapter with a higher Amps output would make any difference. Also to note, is that the adapters also have a Watts characteristic, being 65W for the lower Amp model and 90W for the higher one. However, this attribute isn't listed anywhere in my adapter, so I am unable to compare it, unless Watts are derived from a formula that uses the Volts and Amps, but I don't know it.

Just as a reference, here are the links to each item:

65 Watt 19V 3.42A AC Adapter

90 Watt 19V 4.74A AC Adapter

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not an electrical engineer so this is just my opinion.

The ground pin shouldn't make any difference. The two prong plug most likely will be polarized. The higher amperage may fry the circuitry in the laptop. Last but not least the page states " IMPORTANT TECH NOTE: Make sure the AC adapter you order is the same OUTPUT VOLTAGE and AMPS as your original."

Stick with what you have to be safe.

JB

Thanks
    I'd give Gateway a call and see what they recommend. An exact replacement would be the ideal if you laptop is newer.

You could get a replacement multi pronged type adapter, but this can be hit or mis. There is a good chance
    the plug in adapter will be too loose fitting.
    I just got this one for a woman whom had damaged the original power cord from an old HP laptop. This one will alow for voltage adjustments, but the actual plug in pronge is loose. It works but it's just not ideal and could easily break again.

If you can't get an exact replacement, get the one as close to your original specs as possible; 19V, 3.42Amps.
    Don't worry about the ground.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The difference is the higher capacity model is for the 9-cell, higher capacity battery: the other is for lower capacity 6-cell battery.

Presuming that you must have the 6-cell battery, either adapter will work. If you think that you may upgrade to the larger battery when yours eventually fails, definitely go for the larger device. If not, go for the lower power device as it will be marginally more efficient.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Farrell View Post
    The difference is the higher capacity model is for the 9-cell, higher capacity battery: the other is for lower capacity 6-cell battery.

Presuming that you must have the 6-cell battery, either adapter will work. If you think that you may upgrade to the larger battery when yours eventually fails, definitely go for the larger device. If not, go for the lower power device as it will be marginally more efficient.
    That's seems understandable. Is there any way of telling which battery I have? I presume it's the 6-cell due to the adapter that originally came with the laptop, but I can't find anything on the battery that confirms this.

Also, just to be sure, both adapters will work with my laptop, the only difference is how fast or efficient it is at charging the battery? The higher capacity adapter will charge both but provide no real advantage on the lower capacity battery. While the lower capacity adapter will charge both but would be less efficient at charging the higher capacity battery (Or will it work at all?). Am I correct?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It's safe to buy a non Gateway adapter as long as it's output is rated at least as high as the original. You need to match the voltage (19 volts) and then choose one based on either watts or amps.
    If the unit is listed in watts it's 19 volts x 3.42 amps = 65 watts minimum.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I bit the bullet now. I ordered the 65W AC adapter as it's the one that most closely matches my original adapter. From what I could gather on the site, it seems that there are several variations of each part, but the all fit my laptop. So it might be that the adapter on the picture was just another variation of that part. I also browsed other sites that offered Gateway replacement parts to and their pictures usually had a disclaimer, saying that the actual product may vary on availability.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlo E. View Post
    That's seems understandable. Is there any way of telling which battery I have? I presume it's the 6-cell due to the adapter that originally came with the laptop, but I can't find anything on the battery that confirms this.

Also, just to be sure, both adapters will work with my laptop, the only difference is how fast or efficient it is at charging the battery? The higher capacity adapter will charge both but provide no real advantage on the lower capacity battery. While the lower capacity adapter will charge both but would be less efficient at charging the higher capacity battery (Or will it work at all?). Am I correct?

No, it won't charge any faster. The extra bangs are solely for the extra current required to charge the additional cells of the larger battery. The samller charger will be operating nearer its maximum output and therefore will be running at a higher efficiency. Though this won't make a dent in your power costs as power demand is quite low for a laptop anyway.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Farrell View Post

No, it won't charge any faster. The extra bangs are solely for the extra current required to charge the additional cells of the larger battery. The samller charger will be operating nearer its maximum output and therefore will be running at a higher efficiency. Though this won't make a dent in your power costs as power demand is quite low for a laptop anyway.
    Ok, I think I got it. I was thinking of buying the other charger in case I bought the bigger battery, but I probably won't do that so I figured I would just go with the regular one.