5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using OneNote 2007 and find it quite useful for "stashing hints and tips with regard to my Photography and my Photography software (Photoshop Elements).

I have Notebook called Photography and within it, I have a number of Sections and one Section Group for Photoshop Elements. Within the Section Group, I have a number of sections where I capture different things about Photoshop Elements, e.g., course notes, tips from the web, workflow, etc. The "Tips" Section has a number of pages within it - noted down the right side of the screen and I would like to be able to sort these pages into alphabetical order from time to time to make it easier to find a "tip". The limited documentation that I have does not seem to give me any indication as to how to do that except by manually moving the individual pages around to put them in alphabetical order. I am wondering if there is an automated way to do this. Any help, insight that anyone would care to share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Ron M

Thanks
    There is a SortPages OneNote PowerToy here http://www.onenotepowertoys.com/2007...rt-pages-2007/

I haven't used it yet.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharine Richardson - WebGenii View Post
    There is a SortPages OneNote PowerToy here http://www.onenotepowertoys.com/2007...rt-pages-2007/

I haven't used it yet.
    Thanks Catharine, I downloaded and installed it and it works like a charm.

Ron M

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone know where I can find this download now? The above link no longer works and I can't seem to find it on any shareware site or even through Microsoft's Community site.

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks, in advance!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    See Sort pages 2007 and OneNote 2010 sort utility depending on your OneNote version.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe~

Thanks for your link but unfortunately, the 2007 link no longer works. This seems to be a recurring dilemma regarding this issue. I'm just wondering if the original download was actually saved in a second location. Does anyone have access to this download? I am running the 2007 version of OneNote.

Thanks again Joe, for your effort to help!

Thanks
    Link works for me. The download page is here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/descapa/arch...-powertoy.aspx

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Link works for me. The download page is here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/descapa/arch...-powertoy.aspx

Jerry
    But the actual download link, inside, does not, Jerry. It is the same link that was not working in post #2, above.

Thanks
    You're right Rui. I didn't actually try the download link. Sorry about that.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If anyone knows where else this add-on might be available, please let me know? Thanks much for all your efforts, everyone!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vbliss View Post
    If anyone knows where else this add-on might be available, please let me know? Thanks much for all your efforts, everyone!
    Ok guys. I actually spent more than 5 hours looking for this file, including emailing Dan the author and related posters. This file literally disappeared off the internet for whatever reason I have no idea. It is a freeware to start off with and violates no law. I almost started writing my own plug-in just to do this for OneNote 2007.

Now, it so happens I did download it some 5 years ago and now I just found a back up of that file from one of my oldest hard drives. Anyway here it is uploaded for anyone interested.

Here it is attached:
    OneNote2007SortPages.zip

If attachment failed, try these download links:
    Download Link 1: http://snk.to/f-cu9lgmj1
    Download Link 2: http://www.fileswap.com/dl/KXNT5XS4o/
    Download Link 3: http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id...43f1286b6d1c84

For whatever reason the other copies are erased off the net, this upload might as well get deleted. So if this link dies, you can contact me via this forum. Other readers here can either email you a copy, and/or re-upload it onto the net.

Let's keep OneNote2007SortPage alive!!!

(Note this sort plug-in is not perfect. For example it will sort pages 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14 to become 1,10,11,12,13,14,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. Anyway it's good enough for me).
    Last edited by johnwayne999; 2013-02-04 at 07:26.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Johnwayne999! It installed perfectly. I do have one question though - does this plugin sort pages (within sections) alphabetically? I'm unable to find the command for this function and am hoping one is available. I use OneNote as a recipe saver. It would be nice to save the pages within subsections, alphabetically. Right now, I am sorting manually.

Thanks so much for making the download available again! You Rock!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok guys. Glad you find the plugin useful.
    I've moved on. ON 2007 installs alright on VMWare ThinApp but just couldn't get the plugins to work.
    Now I'm running ON 2010 on Portable Oracle VirtualBox with the plugins OneNote Gem. Running all of these standalone off my USB key (Corsair 64Gb USB 3).

Advantage of doing it this way:

* Enjoy the features of ON 2010 (such as better collapsable and moveable subpages / grouped pages).

* Enjoy all the plug-ins from OneNote Gem (includes sort pages, sections, favorite, etc).

* It is very tricky to run ON 2010 on ThinApp. You need to alter a whole lot of settings in order to prevent the repeated nags for re-activations. ON 2007 on ThinApp is fine but not 2010, it will constantly ask you to re-activate whenever you switch machine. Using VirtualBox overcomes this problem. ON 2010 always thinks it's in its same happy bubble and won't ask you to re-activate no matter what machine the USB key is plugged into. This is a big bonus for me, as I am not prepared to re-activate ON 2010 everyday. Note, some people argue legally you shouldn't run ON 2010 off USB on different machines because that violates single machine license. The thing is though, when you run it off USB key, you are uninstalling it off every single machine when you unplug the USB key. Then when you replug the USB key into the next machine, you are installing onto just that machine. So really all this time you are still just using your license on one and only one machine at any point in time. So personally I'm fine with that.

Disadvantage:

* VirtualBox takes significantly longer to load up and shut down than ThinApp. With ThinApp you just double click on the icon and you are in. Then when you want to shut down, just click on the X. Simple as that. VirtualBox takes about 5 minutes to properly boot up, go into Windows, then load up ON 2010. To shut down it takes about the same amount of time. During operation, VirtualBox is also noticeably slower to respond than ThinApp. Luckily I am not on the run all the time. I do have the luxury of able to plug-in my USB key in the morning at the start of work, leave it in, and let it properly shut down at the end of the day. If you need to frequently plugin and out the USB key for whatever reason, then VirtualBox is not for you. It takes too long to load. If you dare pulling the USB key out while VirtualBox is still slowly doing whatever it needs to finish, then likely you won't be able to start it up next time. This is a bit annoying.

* Some people say you need administrator privilege to run VirtualBox properly. I don't know what privilege I have at work but it's certainly not administrator, and Portable Virtual Box works fine loading up my USB key Windows and OneNote 2010. So that's not a problem for me. Note also: Earlier versions of Virtual Box required that your USB key has the same drive letter each time. Newer versions solved that problem. You can plug your key into any port of different machines and be assigned whatever drive letter, your virtual machine will still load no problem.

* It is much easier for guest to access host's directories using ThinApp. With VirtualBox you will need to set up folder sharing etc, and even after doing it, you still don't get the same degree freedom as ThinApp.

Here's a snap shot of OneNote 2010 native, OneNote 2010 with plugins running in VirtualBox, and OneNote 2007 running in ThinApp without any plugin. All three are running at the same time on my desktop. Portability and completeness of functions wise, VirtualBox wins, but speed is its main weakness. If you are just after a clean simple ON without plugins and old 2007 is fine for you, the ThinApp is for you - good speed, good portability, but no plugins and none of the new features of ON 2010.
    compareON.png

To me the advantages of using ON 2010 and all the plugins is more important than load up , process, shut down time required. So that's bye bye to ThinApp for now. If anyone found a better solution, please let me know! Thanks.
    Last edited by johnwayne999; 2013-02-16 at 03:55.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In reference to the post by vbliss, I too run Onenote 2007 and would like to sort pages alphabetically within sections. Frankly, I don't understand why Microsoft didn't think to add this functionality to the program (which they apparently still haven't done ... strange). Anyway, I installed the OneNote2007SortPages plug-in also, but I don't see how to make it work. There does not appear to be any command to run it. How does it work?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi guys,

The sort button is probably inside "Tools" or one of the items collapsed in the toolbar up the top. You should see a button showing something like "AZ" with arrows, to indicate it's a sorting button. Once you press it, the pages should be sorted.

With regards to subpages, I think they sort also. I am using OneNote Gem purchased from this Chinese guy who probably collated all the free plug-ins available, massaged them a bit to make sure they work properly and sells them.
    http://www.onenotegem.com/
    Mildly unethical but his files work out of the box, so I was willing to pay him a bit of money.
    In OneNote Gem is a sort button which bares high resemblance to OneNote2007SortPages.zip except works in OneNote 2010. When I pressed it, it does sort subpages provided the subpages are uncollapsed at the time of sort. If they are collapsed then they won't be sorted.
    Note however sub-subpages won't be sorted, collapsed or non-collapsed.

There was also one odd occasion, I can't remember how it happened, where my subpages automatically got promoted to normal pages and were sorted along with the rest of normal non-subpages. I can imagine this would really piss some people off if they had hundreds of pages and hundreds of subpages. Then all of a sudden all the subpages become promoted and mixed up with other non-subpages, and the whole lot sorted By the way for those interested in programming their own OneNote plugin, I think .NET is what you need to use. Some of the free powertoys have source code as well, so you can start by glancing at them to get an idea. In my opinion OneNote is nearly perfect, if only Microsoft could implement native sort function, align justify, a favorite button and "Previous Visited Page" button. Maybe one of those days when I become very bored and free, I should code a proper sortpage plug-in myself.

By the way just an update on running ON 2010 on Virtual Box. I've yet moved on again. Virtual Box was way way too slow for my liking, plus it was tedious setting up share folders with host. I took a hard ware solution. I am now running ON 2010 on my own laptop. I link up the laptop with my work computer using this cable. It's self-explanatory:
    http://www.j5create.com/our-products...es/juc400.html
    Basically I can drag and drop files and clipboard pictures from host desktop PC into the ON 2010 running on my laptop. The two computers are connected by USB cable. There are lots of brands of USB data transfer cables out there. Definitely go for j5create wormhole. It's about twice or three times the price of other average cables, but it is clearly a lot easier to use also and well worth the money.
    Advantage: speed no longer an issue. ON 2010 is running natively on the laptop with its own OS and own CPU. Just drag and drop things across from screen to screen, very convenient.
    Disadvantage: Whilst you can copy and paste pictures from host to ON 2010 on client, you cannot copy and paste files directly from host PC into ON 2010 on client. You have to copy the file from host PC onto client's (laptop) desktop, then drag from the client's desktop into client's ON 2010. Just a minor issue but also a minor annoyance.
    Last edited by johnwayne999; 2013-05-10 at 10:50.