Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Themes

Thanks
    I took some glamour photos recently of a friend of mine for her to use as a desktop theme. I am running into a wee bit of a problem that I cannot figure out. All of the photos in this particular set are getting chopped off at either the top or bottom. In other words the entire picture doesn't show on the desktop. Well at least not on mine anyway. I looked at some other photos in theme mode and all of those showed perfectly.
    My laptop is an HP dv5000US with Windows7 Ultimate. Monitor is 15" widescreen. Resolution is 1024x768. The camera was set at 3.1 Megapixels.
    Ive been trying to adjust the pictures using IfranView, and if I turn the photos sideways and use it that way, the entire photo shows. but who wants to look at these sideways.
    Any ideas anyone. No I haven't tried looking at these on another computer yet.
    The resolution on the other photos that worked ok was 1024x768 so I set these at that same size.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    I took some glamour photos recently of a friend of mine for her to use as a desktop theme. I am running into a wee bit of a problem that I cannot figure out. All of the photos in this particular set are getting chopped off at either the top or bottom. In other words the entire picture doesn't show on the desktop. Well at least not on mine anyway. I looked at some other photos in theme mode and all of those showed perfectly.
    My laptop is an HP dv5000US with Windows7 Ultimate. Monitor is 15" widescreen. Resolution is 1024x768. The camera was set at 3.1 Megapixels.
    Ive been trying to adjust the pictures using IfranView, and if I turn the photos sideways and use it that way, the entire photo shows. but who wants to look at these sideways.
    Any ideas anyone. No I haven't tried looking at these on another computer yet.
    The resolution on the other photos that worked ok was 1024x768 so I set these at that same size.
    So, forgive the obvious questions, but these pictures started out as are landscape orientation rather than portrait, did they? And if they are 3.1 megapixels, they must have started out at more than 1024x768, presumably 2048 x 1536? And then you re-sized them with Irfanview. When you see them sideways, are they correctly proportioned, apart from being sideways?

Ian

Thanks
    they are portrait, and I was just looking at the settings on my camera, but the batteries are dead, but I am 99.99% sure it was set to 3.1.
    Yes when I view them sideways the are perfect.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You did not mention which version of Windows you are running, but if I recall correctly all of them allow you to specify different ways of displaying background pictures. On Windows 7 one of the options is "Fit" which means that it will automatically resize the picture so that the whole picture shows on the background (with a portrait picture you will have large areas to the left and right where the desktop color shows through.)

Thanks
    Yes that is correct. Right click on the desktop and choose Personalize, Desktop Background, Picture Positions. You will have to choose which looks the best. I would think Fit or Center. Stretch or Fill would distort the pics too much.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    they are portrait, and I was just looking at the settings on my camera, but the batteries are dead, but I am 99.99% sure it was set to 3.1.
    Yes when I view them sideways the are perfect.
    If they are portrait, then they are not going to fill the screen which is landscape format. But if they started out as 2048 x 1536 portrait then you might be able to crop a nice 1024 x 768 landscape area from the picture.*

Ian

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post
    You did not mention which version of Windows you are running, but if I recall correctly all of them allow you to specify different ways of displaying background pictures. On Windows 7 one of the options is "Fit" which means that it will automatically resize the picture so that the whole picture shows on the background (with a portrait picture you will have large areas to the left and right where the desktop color shows through.)
    Yes I did Peter. Windows 7 Ultimate
    Thanks
    Thanks John

Thanks
    Thank You all who replied.
    Well, as it turns out with the current photos I have no choice but to use the "Fit" for these photos.
    However I took some other photos that I have that are 1024x768, and put them in a theme to see how they all looked. Perfect!
    I remembered something in the manual about resolution settings, so I looked it up and was pleased to see that I can set the camera for 1024x768 resolution,as well as change it from 3 to 7 Megapixels.
    I guess I am just gonna have to retake some photos and see how it goes.
    Dirty job Ted but someone has to do it!
    Thanks John

Thanks
    I remembered something in the manual about resolution settings, so I looked it up and was pleased to see that I can set the camera for 1024x768 resolution,as well as change it from 3 to 7 Megapixels.
    But... if any of those photos are good enough to print, you would really appreciate a higher resolution (e.g, 2 megapixels or more).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    But... if any of those photos are good enough to print, you would really appreciate a higher resolution (e.g, 2 megapixels or more).
    Correct! Studying a Chart on resolution, it shows that the best resolution for 3x5 is 2 megapixels and for 5x7 it is 4. So if I leave the camera at 3 and set the resolution to 1024x768 I should be fine.

I have an acquaintance that is real pro so I think I am going to ask him about what I have read and get his input
    Thanks John

Thanks
    Dirty job Ted but someone has to do it!
    I can see you are really sweating over HAVING to FORCE yourself to retake the photos.

I delete my first post here as after re-reading it , it made no sense. Sorry. The gist of the post was that taking new pictures may be necessary with a different resolution on the camera, at least that was what it was supposed to say. I wrote it early this morning and it was really bad when I looked at it later in the day.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I can see you are really sweating over HAVING to FORCE yourself to retake the photos.

I delete my first post here as after re-reading it , it made no sense. Sorry. The gist of the post was that taking new pictures may be necessary with a different resolution on the camera, at least that was what it was supposed to say. I wrote it early this morning and it was really bad when I looked at it later in the day.
    Sweating so badly that I shorted out the keyboard...... LOL
    Thanks John

Thanks
    Sweating so badly that I shorted out the keyboard...... LOL
    See, now you also have an excuse to get a new keyboard!

You know, the gentlemanly thing to do would be to share a few of those photos so we can see if there is a better way to fix them.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Correct! Studying a Chart on resolution, it shows that the best resolution for 3x5 is 2 megapixels and for 5x7 it is 4. So if I leave the camera at 3 and set the resolution to 1024x768 I should be fine.

I have an acquaintance that is real pro so I think I am going to ask him about what I have read and get his input
    Unless you have a pressing reason not to take the photos at the highest resolution the camera can manage, it would be best to do so. You can always resize copies later while keeping the original higher resolution files. (And if you know that you want landscape format in the end, take them that way round in the first place.)

Ian

Thanks
    Studying a Chart on resolution, it shows that the best resolution for 3x5 is 2 megapixels and for 5x7 it is 4. So if I leave the camera at 3 and set the resolution to 1024x768 I should be fine.
    I don't see how those two settings can be applied at the same time. A 3 megapixel image generally has a resolution in the range of 2000 x 1500 pixels. Or is the resizing done by the software that copies the images to the PC? Hmmm...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast