New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I install Adobe PhotoShop from the CS3 Ultimate package (student version), the installer also installs every single "helper" program I might need for the other not-yet-installed components. This includes Adobe Updater, Air, Sing, Device Central, Stock Photos, Fonts plus other things which I probably don't need just to run PhotoShop.

I am convinced some of these helpers may conflict with other programs or change settings in other programs or Windows because often I experience problems with my Win XP system. Also uses many GB of hard drive space and adds what appear to be hundreds if not thousands of lines to my registry. I've tried uninstalling the unneccesary(?) parts but then PhotoShop expresses its dismay with error messages.

Thanks
    The first thing to look for when installing large muliti extra functioning software is to look for a "custom" install option
    as opposed to the regular "full" install mode. Run the installer to see if this is the case.

The "custom" install will provide options as to "where to install to", and what extras can be install or not.
    It will usually have an interface where one can select or deselect items.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does the installer have a "Custom install" option? Usually such an option lets you select which components actually get installed. If there is no such option, you are often stuck with whatever got installed. I had this issue once with a software package and I used a tool like WinDirStat to locate the large files within the installation directory, This app I installed placed a lot of media and graphics files on my disk that I never used and by removing then I retrieved over 2GBs of disk space. Since the parts of the app II used didn't need those files, everything still worked.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your help. I did use the custom install and selected only PhotoShop. The rest of the stuff was installed automatically much like Corel Draw used to install clip art and thousands of fonts. Even MS installs files and empty directories and services which cannot be removed even if you have no intention of ever needing them. As I also mentioned, I found that removing those I could remove brought protests from things unrelated to PhotoShop. I have been told there are "clean" installs available over the internet but I suspect these may be pirate copies and I'd hate to get a virus or worse. Adobe is no help. I should have just bought PhotoShop but couldn't get a student price on it at the time. This is one of my gripes similar to the toolbar issue on free downloads.