Thread: Partition Tool

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am new to Windows 7 and trying to determine the best way to configure my system. I have used terabyte image for windows and partitioning tool for my old windows xp computer, but it could take up to 8 hours to back up my photos and songs from external hard drives.

I was thinking of using the windows 7 partition tool to create a new partition on my oversized drive, move my photos/pictures there and use the windows imaging tool to schedule backups to external drives.

Have people had luck with the embeded tools? Any gotchas to look out for?

TIA

Regards,

Miggs

Thanks
    The Windows 7 partitioning abilities are simple and limited to resizing/formatting drives, not partitioning.
    Partition Wizard Home Edition, as one example, is a known good and workable tool for the Windows 7 os, beit 32 or 64 bit.
    Once it's done it's job it can be uninstalled easily.

The Backup and Restore tool in Windows 7 does do imaging, but yet again it is a simple but effective tool for non complicated systems. I use it myself and it works just fine for my needs: Simple primary os image backup, non complicated setup.
    I would not use any imaging tool to back up large sets of data, be they images or programs of any great size other than the primary os.
    1. It takes too long to image 300 or 600 GB even with the best of imaging programs.
    2. Why add the extra complexity of an image when a simple hard copy gets the job done just as well.

Simply back these up by hard copying them to an external drive unless they are highly compressible.
    Even with the "heavy duty" drive imaging programs it makes no sense to image content like compressed pictures or video.

My 2 cents
    CLiNT
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I restored to a new 1T HDD from a Spotmau backup and got my old system complete with exectables working.

That left repartitioning to make D: and P: drives ( Development and Programs) - I have Spotmau images for these from yesterday.

Now I find that 'Shrinking' the (only) C: partition on the new drive will not work ( Procees not available or somesuch.)

So I'm using Spomau Partition Genius to 'split' the C: partition.

The process started 30 mins ago and I'm still looking at the Analyzing dialogue - I know some operations on a 1T drive take a long time so I'll just leave it for much longer to see what happens - well it has returned another dialogue asking me to set a new larger partition size.

Moral of the story is that 'Shrink' in Win 7 Disk Manager may not be possible in every situation.

PS My original need for a restore was a 'crash'
    The restore to my 64Gb SSD worked fine BUT executables wouldn't - after searching and trying various fixes I decided to do a test reinstall to the 1T HDD to a view to reformatting the SSD and doing a new restore.

So best of luck with your system.

Bryan

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can use Robocopy as a simple backup tool if you run it via the Windows scheduler.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Windows 7 partitioning abilities are simple and limited to resizing/formatting drives, not partitioning.
    Partition Wizard Home Edition, as one example, is a known good and workable tool for the Windows 7 os, beit 32 or 64 bit.
    Once it's done it's job it can be uninstalled easily.

Are you sure about the < not partitioning > bit? I used the abilities to partition my second internal hard drive.

Thanks
    I also used Partition Wizard Home Edition for my partitioning needs. It's interface is very user friendly and it works very well. Best of all it's free. I use Acronis True Image Home 2010 forr my imaging needs. I thought the Win 7 Backup and Restore app was too simplistic for my needs and it's somewhat limited as to the media you can use. (Can't use RW media, just R media), and can't save to NAS storage. Although Win 7 has included these tools for basic use, because Win 7 is primarily an OS, I tend to lean toward 3rd party apps that are specialized for certain uses, i.e. partitioning apps for partitioning, imaging apps for imaging. These 3rd party apps have many more features. There are numerous threads in the Lounge on both these type apps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are several excellent free tools on the internet but I like Macrium Reflect for imaging and Easeus for partitioning. Take a look at these tools.
    Macrium Reflect
    Easeus Partition Tool

Thanks
    I have attempted to show the steps involved in creating an image using Acronis True Image Home 2010 in another thread . I hope others will add to this thread showing steps in the app they use for imaging.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Monroe View Post
    There are several excellent free tools on the internet but I like Macrium Reflect for imaging and Easeus for partitioning. Take a look at these tools.
    Macrium Reflect
    Easeus Partition Tool
    both are installed on every machine I setup for individuals..

they are simple and "just work"