New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi people,
    I had to work my way through a problem on my computer and the experience left me with some of questions about how to reinstall Win 7.

My machine was a Vista Home 64 bit which I upgraded to Win 7 Home Premium. It worked great, and I never looked back. Question; If I need to reinstall, do I first restore to Vista and then do the upgrade again to Win 7, or is it best to just boot to the Win 7 disk? If I install Win 7 directly, then that means I no longer have need of the OEM restore partition, correct?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Dave
    Dave

Always read stuff that will make you look good
    If you die in the middle of it.

Thanks
    If I need to reinstall, do I first restore to Vista and then do the upgrade again to Win 7, or is it best to just boot to the Win 7 disk?
    If you have a Windows 7 disk that would be the quickest way to do it, and do a custom clean intall at that.
    Check out this tutorial from Tweakhound on Installing Windows 7.
    Pay close attention to the order in which things are installed and some minor tweaks after the first boot.
    ie If your not going to use UAC it's best to disable it right a way.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Paul Thurrott's Super Site for Windows has many tips for installing Win 7. here is one to the point for you.

This is also mentioned in another thread in the Lounge.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Dave, good advice above. Here is what I did successfully: While in win 7 insert your win 7 DVD click setup when it appears after a short while you will be asked what country and language change default if necessary click OK. After a short while you will be presented with Two ( 2 ) options Upgrade install and Custom. Click on Upgrade ( it should really read upgrade/repair install ). Now windows will re-install itself without you having to re-install your programs and Video drivers etc. You can not do this by booting from the DVD you must already be in Windows 7. Hope this helps. Regards Peter

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, good info from all of you.

Peter, your reply is really what I would have liked to do, but couldn't. I didn't elaborate about what my computer problem was, which I guess I should have done, but it wasn't germain to the info I was looking for. I think it was really quite odd, tell me what you think;

My backup drive (an external) was full, so I decided to do a backup to an auxilliary internal drive. This would let me wipe my external drive and start using it again. The backup to the internal failed. I snipped the error codes, and shut down with the intention of looking into the problem the next day. The next morning, I turned on my machine and Windows would not load. No errors or messages, just a black screen. After a lot of futzing around I found that windows would "try" to load after about 30 minutes, but never succeeded. Even booting to safe mode took 15 minutes, but windows did load. I wasn't able to do anything with it though, because every command I gave would take 10 minutes or so to complete. At this point I put my Win 7 disk in the slot, but after waiting for 30 minutes nothing happened, the hard drive churning all the while. So I shut down with the Win 7 disk in the slot and tried to reboot, but got no response from the disk. That's when it dawned on me that I had a hardware failure. The almost new Seagate internal drive had crapped out. I yanked it, and my machine whirred up like a helicopter. I don't understand why a secondary drive failure would cause windows not to load, but there is a lot I don't understand.
    Dave

Always read stuff that will make you look good
    If you die in the middle of it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveLT View Post
    Thanks guys, good info from all of you.

Peter, your reply is really what I would have liked to do, but couldn't. I didn't elaborate about what my computer problem was, which I guess I should have done, but it wasn't germain to the info I was looking for. I think it was really quite odd, tell me what you think;

My backup drive (an external) was full, so I decided to do a backup to an auxilliary internal drive. This would let me wipe my external drive and start using it again. The backup to the internal failed. I snipped the error codes, and shut down with the intention of looking into the problem the next day. The next morning, I turned on my machine and Windows would not load. No errors or messages, just a black screen. After a lot of futzing around I found that windows would "try" to load after about 30 minutes, but never succeeded. Even booting to safe mode took 15 minutes, but windows did load. I wasn't able to do anything with it though, because every command I gave would take 10 minutes or so to complete. At this point I put my Win 7 disk in the slot, but after waiting for 30 minutes nothing happened, the hard drive churning all the while. So I shut down with the Win 7 disk in the slot and tried to reboot, but got no response from the disk. That's when it dawned on me that I had a hardware failure. The almost new Seagate internal drive had crapped out. I yanked it, and my machine whirred up like a helicopter. I don't understand why a secondary drive failure would cause windows not to load, but there is a lot I don't understand.
    It depends on the type of failure the hard drive experienced. An internal short could have shorted or caused the voltages from the P/S to be different, thus not allowing any devices that rely on these voltages from working either. This is just one example of what might have happened. Unfortunately you do not expect hardware failures from new devices but they do indeed occur. Glad you solved your problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Dave, I can't guess what actually happened to your Computer. Sorry. My experience with Windows back up was as follows: Windows would no longer boot. So I thought no problem as I had the Windows repair boot DVD and had made a disk image of my C: drive on my external E-Sata drive. Using my Repair disk to boot the machine, Windows did NOT find the operating system Back Up on my external Drive. I had to install the External drive into the Computer. Then Windows found the Back up and repaired the Computer. So If the operating system ( Win 7 ) is corrupt then Windows, in my case, would not use the external drive back up as it could not or would not find the back up. For other program data the back up likely would have worked, like accounts, Customer data etc. So be aware of the Windows back up limitation. Regards Peter