Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Hi Loungers, as there are a lot of recommendations on using CCleaner, but no mention of what settings they use, I thought I'd post mine to let others see how it compares with their settings. Regular users will notice the 'Advanced' section is missing. I do not use any of them.

RR.JPG
    Last edited by Roderunner; 2011-12-30 at 23:52.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    I also add the old prefetch data in the advanced section, but otherwise similar to what you show.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I'll choose to keep some cookies alive.
    I also don't include "Last Download Location".
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I also add the old prefetch data in the advanced section, but otherwise similar to what you show.
    I read in another forum, The Elder Geek on Windows by quietman7 its best left alone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    I'll choose to keep some cookies alive.
    I also don't include "Last Download Location".
    I normally uncheck FF cookies as I find it better cleaning it out manually. Interesting your inclusion of LD Location, i'll look in to it.

Thanks
    I also drop the; "show prompt to backup registy issues" & "only delete temp file less than 24 hrs old".
    I find CCleaner's registry cleaner to be a very mild and safe tool.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Thanks Clint, I over time, have stopped doing anything to the registry but have used CC to clean mine after doing a removal without any trouble. As to 'Last DL Location' when using snipping tool, I always save to desktop but it always wants to save to normally pictures folder, can I set it to always save to desktop?

On another thread Ted Myers said he used Absolute Uninstaller. I used it to remove Avast but icon still shows in taskbar notification area. Back to MSE

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Thanks Clint, I over time, have stopped doing anything to the registry but have used CC to clean mine after doing a removal without any trouble. As to 'Last DL Location' when using snipping tool, I always save to desktop but it always wants to save to normally pictures folder, can I set it to always save to desktop?

On another thread Ted Myers said he used Absolute Uninstaller. I used it to remove Avast but icon still shows in taskbar notification area. Back to MSE
    Roderunner, I have been trying Absolute Uninstaller since Revo Uninstaller free edition does not uninstall 64 Bit apps whereas Absolute Uninstaller does (It was suggested by another Lounger) I still use Revo for most of my uninstalls.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanks Ted, since posing my question re CCleaner I found this site. http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner

Thanks
    I leave every setting at default with the exception of unchecking cookies for IE and Firefox. I prefer to eyeball those myself.

I do not bother with anything in the Advanced section, and I would not allow CCleaner to clear out the prefetch because Windows manages and updates prefetch. Every time it is cleared it has to be built again from scratch.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    I would not allow CCleaner to clear out the prefetch because Windows manages and updates prefetch. Every time it is cleared it has to be built again from scratch.
    Yeah, that one setting to leave alone. I think it is uncheck by default too.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,

Is the "Absolute Uninstaller" you mentioned, the one made by Glary. Is this the one: http://www.glarysoft.com/absolute-uninstaller/?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After going through tthe online help, I had customized which cookies to keep (as some pages remember some settings which I prefer, like local regional news).
    I only clear the histroy if I goofed up a website (like typing in goole.com) as I like autocomplete.
    I always purge the recycle bin...
    I compact firefox databases, otherwise have to do it manually in firefox.
    I don't like autoexiting as I like to see how much was cleaned, and only delete temp files older than 24 hrs.

As to prefetch data, the only impact this could have is a slower boot on the next boot as windows rebuilds this data - so no harm done and I purge it.

As to cleaning the registry, I don't use ccleaner as it has broken office 2007 on me before by doing this.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using CCleaner since being recommended by a friend with no problems ever. I have always left the default settings as they were. I'm going to re-read the comments though and maybe make a tweak as a result. I've been using the unpaid version of Revo for a long time and never once experienced any problems. Good stuff.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using CCleaner for three years, and I do a few things differently from your example. I chose not to clean Run, Taskbar Jump Lists, or DNS Cache. I do Empty Recycle Bin, which really doesn't matter much, because I generally do permanent file deletions anyway. I also Compact Databases in Firefox.

For cookies, I generally use the Options to select cookies that I want to keep right before I run CCleaner, then let it delete all the others.

In Advanced Options, I only clean temp files older than 24 hours, and I don't close the program after cleaning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast