Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Recovery after Linux

I've made the foolish mistake of not having a backup of my WindowsME data, and attempted to install Linux Red Hat 7.1 onto IBM.

Not having the data is a problem, as it was a recent recovery, and I've still got the information on backup from my previous attempts at experimenting with Linux.

My problem now is that after removing Linux, Windows ME wouldn't boot... it still attempts to load Linux.

I've used a Windows ME boot disk, and 'fdisked' the entire HD, reboot, format, and reboot again. I'm still receiving a 'Linux' boot screen.

I've tried using the recovery CDs shipped with my IBM, but still... I get the Linux boot screen.

Unless I use the boot disk, I always get the Linux boot screen, which will not allow me to load Windows ME, or get to a command prompt of any kind for that matter.

HELP!
    Christopher Baldrey

ileacy

Re: Recovery after Linux

Hi Chris:

DOS FDISK /MBR the hard drive and you should get rid of LILO from the boot sector.

FYI I usually install LILO in the first sector of the Linux Partition. This way it works with BootMagic, etc for other OS's. It also keeps LILO away from other multi-boot schemes.

ileacy

PS: You need to run the RH7.1 CUSTOM install option to chose where LILO is going to go.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

So the /MBR is a switch I don't know about? How dare they!

I"ll let you know what happens...
    Christopher Baldrey

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

<big><big><big><big><font color=red>YIPEE!!!!!</font color=red></big></big></big></big>

It worked!

Ian... if you were a woman, I'd kiss you! It worked... I can't thank you enough!
    Christopher Baldrey