Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    My apologies, I screwed up and deleted all attachments in my attachments page. I am recreating those I can, but since I now use Acronis 2011, I cannot re-create these attachments. Sorry again! Perhaps an administrator can get them back, but I think not.

My hope in starting this thread is that others will post similar instructions for other 3rd party Imaging apps. <any others would create images if they had some easy to follow steps, thus avoiding re-installation problems.

To create an image with Acronis True Image Home 2010 I follow these steps:

1) First I clean up my OS. I delete all temp files, including prefetch data. I delete all temp internet files and history. Basically I get rid of all the junk taking up space I can use for something else. I normally use CCleaner to do this cleaning. (I have never had any problems using CCleaner). If I have an unused apps, I also consider uninstalling them before the cleanup. Once evrything is cleaned, I do a defrag with Auslogics defragmenter. I also run manual scans with MalWareBytes Antimalware and Spybot Search and Destroy, and a full scan with MSE.

2) I have Acronis True Image Home 2010 with Plus Pack. Open Acronis to the main screen. Under What would you like to do? choose Back UpMy Disks.

[attachment=89183:2010-07-10_2108.png]

Select Next

3) Select the disk to Image, in my example "C" (Please don't look at or judge the single partition containing OS and data. I have not decided to create a partition for data.) note: The Ext3 partition is used for Linux Mint. I am dabbling in Linux. I actually used Clonezilla to create an image of my Linux Mint partition, but could not begin to list the steps for this. I have found that Clonezilla is quite techy, and not so user friendly, but very effective. The Linux Swap partition was created by the Linux installer. I would assume it works similarly to the Windows Page file? Sorry to digress from the main topic.

[attachment=89184:2010-07-10_2109.png]

Select Next

4) Under Target Selection, select Create new backup archive, then Select the Back up Location, I use an Ext. HD ("H" Drive on my PC), but you could easily use a different partition or removable optical media or NAS Storage. ( I do not recommend using only another partition because if the HD fails, your image may be gone as well. I advocate a removable storage location)

[attachment=89189:2010-07-10_2137.png]

Select Next

5) Choose Proceed (Since I am not actually creating an image right now, I can't show the Execute screen because my Ext HD is not attached.)

Once the Image is created, be sure to create a System Rescue Media. (This only has to be done the first time you create an image. This Rescuee Media will work for all subsequent Images created using Acronis True Image Home 2010) On the Main Screen, select Tools and Utilities, select Create a Bootable Rescue Media, and follow the prompts. I use a CD-R for this rescue disk because of it's size and ease of use.

[attachment=89186:2010-07-10_2110.png]

If you wish to restore from your image, insert the Acronis Rescue Media disk, reboot to the disk, in my case I would have my Ext. HD connected through a USB port. The Rescue Media would see the image on the Ext. HD and run it. Be sure to test the image by actually running the recovery media and restoring from your image. This is an important step.
    If the OS is not hosed badly I suppose you could restore from within Acronis (See the first graphic) I do not do this, I always go the Rescue Media route. Using this route you could also format the partition in case let's say you have a bad infection to be rid of.

I hope this post is not too long with the images. Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    To create an image with Acronis True Image Home 2010 I follow these steps:
    can i create a rescue pendrive instead of a rescue disk? thank you

Thanks
    If you mean by "pendrive" a USB flash drive, I believe you can. In going down through the windows for Acronis, I get to this:

[attachment=89192:2010-07-11_0828.png]

The H: drive is my USB port. In this case I have a Flash Drive installed in a USB port and Acronis sees this as a valid place to install the Repair Disk info. I hope this helps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Newegg has Acronis True Image Home 2010 for $9.99 after a mail in rebate. Includes Free Shipping! You can't hardly beat that with a stick!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Just a note about the above Newegg rebate: "Purchase Acronis True Image Home 2010 through Newegg.com between 07/08/10 and 07/21/10. Rebate request must be postmarked no later than 08/21/10."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Just a note about the above Newegg rebate: "Purchase Acronis True Image Home 2010 through Newegg.com between 07/08/10 and 07/21/10. Rebate request must be postmarked no later than 08/21/10."
    Jeff, Thanks for checking further on the rebate. Since I already own Acronis TI Home 2010 and the Plus Pack I did not follow through on the rebate details.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Macrium instructions have been moved to this thread.

http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...owtopic=776749

Thanks
    Mercyh,

Very useful, thank you. This is the kind of response I was hoping for. Very often an individual new to imaging will be overwhelmed by what appears at first glance to be a very complicated process (I know I was at first). I think instructions such as these may alleviate fears they have and they will jump in and start creating images to solve even bigger problems when they arise. Although, if everyone created up to date images, many of the problems we discuss in these forums would be alleviated. That would mean less time here and more time to bike! Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted Myers,
    What is the "Plus Pack" you referred to?
    I have been using Acronis TrueImage for a long time, from version 6 to Acronis True Image Home 2010, but sad to say with my Windows 7 64-bit Dell Computer, when I try to run it,all I get is a message saying "Acronis True Image has stopped working. A problem has caused it to stop working..blah blah blah. Up to this point their Tech Support has not come up with a solution. Any input from anyone would be appreciated.

Jack

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all

Acronis True Image

It is good to see someone laying out the steps to backing up using (among others) Acronis. Wish I'd had this before I began using it some time ago, and I do genuinely hate to provide negative feedback on any software, but I hope this will be also be constructive information for others.

Until recently I used to use Acronis (True Image Home 2010), fully paid up (so doubly uncomfortable with this feedback!) , but the advice is Be Careful using it! I have now been let down twice at the point where I needed to restore a backup image, and twice, in my view, is two times too many. Of course it's always at the critical "I need to restore" point that any problems arise. All backups were to a second virtual drive in my PC and to another external USB Hard Drive, and consisted of both full stand-alone images and incemental backups.

The first time I had a problem was because I didn't appreciate how critical the verify function was, and the application doesn't make this clear, nor does it make it very easy to carry out the verify operation, and on my attempt to recover it stated all my backups were unreadable. All of them? "Why?" was the question but I found no answer to that, and the tech support from Acronis could only emphasize that I needed to verify each backup - ok, fair enough in principle, but I do feel they should both make that crystal clear on the application interface and make it easier to set up as an automatic operation. It is possible to set it up to do this automatically, but it isn't obvious, you have to burrow to find the settings.

That done, I thought all was plain sailing, but then ran into another problem recently, where I did get a restored image, but it wasn't identical to what I'd had before (and I don't understand how that is possible). After the restore I had to reinstall the whole of Microsoft Office 2007 because it no longer recognised me as a user, presumably because the activation key had disappeared. Not a fatal problem, just annoying - and slightly worrying for a bit-by-bit image. The rest of my system seemed ok.

You could argue that the first problem was my doing, by not verifying each backup. I accept that, up to a point, though as I've said I do feel it should be clearer how critical this obviously is - there is an argument that it should be a default setting, to be switched off by the user - Acronis, take note for future releases. The second issue however still baffles me. I did not have any Office apps running during either backup or (obviously) restore (or anything else, apart from what normally loads on startup). Acronis tech support suggested the cause was that Outlook was in memory, but I can be certain it wasn't, as the backups are carried out every Saturday morning as the first task after booting up, and without anything else running at all.

Rather than spend a lot of time and anguish trying to find out and fix what went wrong I have moved now to Easeus (for the time being) and am looking at Paragon - any comments on either of those from other users?

However the message on Acronis is be careful. My guess is they will fix whatever went wrong in a future release and make verification easier, but that is little comfort to me. Caveat Emptor! Hopefully with the knowledge of my problems others who use Acronis will be able make sure it doesn't happen to them, though the second (non-fatal) issue is tricky as I can't identify the problem there.

rdl

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Excellent post, Ted. Was a user of Acronis for some years but recently switched to Macrium Reflect. Both are excellent programs but I found Macrium more to my liking. I have found the scheduling feature in Macrium to be a plus as I do frequent imaging on two computers (both full and incremental). The program allows for automatic deleting of "old" backups by age which is great because I don't have to remember to check disk space and manually delete. And, the Linux version of the Rescue disk has never let me down!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Kitchen View Post
    Ted Myers,
    What is the "Plus Pack" you referred to?
    I have been using Acronis TrueImage for a long time, from version 6 to Acronis True Image Home 2010, but sad to say with my Windows 7 64-bit Dell Computer, when I try to run it,all I get is a message saying "Acronis True Image has stopped working. A problem has caused it to stop working..blah blah blah. Up to this point their Tech Support has not come up with a solution. Any input from anyone would be appreciated.

Jack
    Jack - I am running Acronis TrueImage 9 on a Win7 x64 system after upgrading from Vista X64 and the program seems to run fine. It certainly makes images perfectly well, although I have not needed it to restore yet (thank goodness).
    Have you tried a complete uninstall and reinstall?
    Mike
    I can always use good information

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rdl@globalnet View Post
    ....The first time I had a problem was because I didn't appreciate how critical the verify function was, and the application doesn't make this clear, nor does it make it very easy to carry out the verify operation, and on my attempt to recover it stated all my backups were unreadable.....
    I myself have never had this problem with TrueImage 9, the previous version. I have used it on an XP system and a Vista 32 and 64 systems without any problems. The few times I have done a verify, the images verified just fine. I sympathize with your problems, but it does not appear to be a general issue (at least on the TrueImage 9 version).
    Mike
    I can always use good information

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello All, specially Ted M.

I have used TI from V.8 to 2010 and swear by it, never at it.

Doing a backup is wise and needless to say, neccessary for peace of mind. But doing this BU will not let you replace a bad HD with a new one in reversing the BU to the new device. One needs to do a clone, this is offered in all versions of TI. You can also go back to a clone and singly copy back a lost file/folder.

Ted, are you sure that your way of doing the BU, is also copying all the OS and the booting folders/data ??? Do a test for me, BU to another compatible HDD, insert it in the C:\ position and see if it will boot your prefered OS. I got to do clones when I wanted to increase the size of my HDD in a Thinkpad, from 20 to 80 GBs and have done nothing but clones since that day on TI v.8. I would not mind being proven wrong ! To my mind, a clone is total protection.

Thanks for your expert opinions here. JP.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Where did you find the $9.99 after rebate price? The best price I can find is $19.99 after rebate. [attachment=89258:7-15-2010 10-31-03 AM.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast