2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a way to recover the files needed for dual booting (Win7 and XP)? When I tried unsuccessfully to install a SSD, I had multiple instances of the NTLDR getting hosed. I eventually discovered that I could repair the file with my recovery disk. Before this, I could boot to Win7 or XP by selecting from the Windows 7 created menu at bootup. Now I can only boot Win7. I tried to solve the problem with EasyBCD, but it didn't work (I couldn't figure out what had to be done). I have some safe images of my old installation that presumably have the proper boot files on them. I would like to know what files to find and where to copy them. I do not want to install the full images, since they were made a long time ago and I would end up with days of work trying to recover.

Can I get back to dual booting (the XP partition is intact) by copying some files from my images to the proper place? If so, what files do I copy and where do I put them?

Thanks
    I believe your problem lies in a bad Boot Loader (MBR), and this should be able to be fixed with Easy BCD. You have to have version 2.0 to work properly with Win 7. Once installed, from Win 7 open EasyBCD:

[attachment=89197:2010-07-11_1500.png]

Select Add New Entry. Select the type of entry (XP in your case) and the Drive letter (This should be automatically configured). Give it a distinctive name that includs XP in the name, Then select Add Entry.

[attachment=89200:2010-07-11_1513.png]

Once you have added a new entry, select Edit Boot Menu

[attachment=89199:2010-07-11_1505.png]

Both your Win 7 and Win XP should be visible (In my example only my Win 7 is shown since I do not have a dual boot senario on my PC). You can choose the default entry and the order they are listed. Then choose Save Settings. This should re-establish your MBR

I hope this helps. Ted

p.s. Just discovered this. You may be able to choose BCD Backup/Repair

[attachment=89201:2010-07-11_1521.png]

BCD Management Options, Re-create/repair boot files, then Perform Action may work. Once you have the MBR repairred use Backup and Restore Bootloader Settings to save a backup of your boot records. Choose a location (the default should work) then choose Backup Settings.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. I was using EasyBCD 1.7 and have just now downloaded 2.0 and will give it a try. I previously got the boot menu to show the XP option, but it was not properly linked, so it didn't work. I will try your suggestions.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I went through your instructions, I discovered that they were basically what I had already done. The problem is that my XP entry doesn't seem to actually point to the proper place to get XP started. It starts Win7 without a problem. Here is what "view settings shows:

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 7 Home Premium (recovered)
    Timeout: 30 seconds
    Boot Drive: C:\

Entry #1
    Name: Windows 7 Home Premium (recovered)
    BCD ID: {current}
    Drive: C:\
    Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
    Name: xp
    BCD ID: {098db81d-83fb-11df-bad0-9bcd2baa792c}
    Drive: D:\
    Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

I don't know what that third line (BCD ID) is for the XP. There is no similar line for Win7. My XP is located on the D: partition, as I see it when Win7 is running, but it is on C: when XP is running. So, I am not sure how that should be set. I also see that the Bootloader path for entry #2 is of a different form than for entry #1. Do you have any suggestions for changing these? Should both be drive C:\ ?

Thanks
    I have a friend that may be able to help more, he is more familiar with EasyBCD. I will send him a message to check this thread and see if he has an answer.

Did you try the Bootloader Setup? Take a look at this NeoSmart instruction. It may help while awaiting a reply from Fred. They are talking about this screen located in the Bootloader Setup.

[attachment=89205:2010-07-11_2030.png]

I suspect since you already can boot to Win 7, you have to select Install the Windows XP bootloader to the MBR, then Choose Write MBR. I would suspect this should fix your problem. Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by B Williams View Post

Entry #1

Entry #2
    Name: xp
    BCD ID: {098db81d-83fb-11df-bad0-9bcd2baa792c}
    Drive: D:\
    Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

. Do you have any suggestions for changing these? Should both be drive C:\ ?
    B Williams,
    Hello, ... Boy sometimes these problems can be confusing, i will try. If this was my system this is how i would proceed ( trying not to get too bogged down in the details)
    1. First i would boot into whatever OS that i would want as default.
    2. Then i would look at "my computer" and see what each disk or system was called. (Your default running OS would always be C and the others would be whatever you had selected or what "windows chose" based on what was still available as drive letters.
    3.I would then open Easy BCD and look at the "view settings tab".. see whats up.
    4. Then i would select "change settings" and set "default OS" (from drop down), click save. (set time out while i was there)
    5.Then i would select the next group "Choose an OS" , and set it to whatever i set the default as. click save. (keeping the same drive letter as default OS)
    6. Next i would select "Add / Remove Entries" and, select "Add an entry". Then i Would add whatever OS i wanted, and assign whatever the drive letter that was shown in "computer"., and place whatever "tag" that i wanted ("Name"). Click "Add Entry"
    7. Recheck the above "Manage Existing Entries" and if i was happy with the names and order ... click "Save". At This point i would make sure that i have removed any of the old entries (add \ remove entries tab)
    8. Back to View settings and make sure of what i have done... X out and restart
    9. You should then see the choices that were made at "boot time " (Windows Boot Manager) and then make your selection, as to which system you want. ... If this fails i would have to re-think and try again later... after one or two "Adult Beverages" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fixed!!! Ted and Fred - many thanks for your help. The fix was quick and relatively simple. I think a big part of it was switching to version 2.0 of EasyBCD. Anyway, here is what I did. I deleted the XP entry that I had previously made. Saved. Then I went to the add option and selected the item that included XP. Then, to my surprise, everything happened automatically. The software "knew" I had XP and apparently knew how to set it up. I accepted the automatic changes, then tested. When I rebooted, my boot menu showed Win7 and XP. I selected XP and it loaded without a hitch. Another boot and I selected Win7 and am here writing to you.

FWIW, here is what the configuration looks like now. This can be compared to the configuration that didn't work. The drive is set as C: now, not D: as I had it before.

Entry #1

Entry #2
    Name: Microsoft Windows XP
    BCD ID: {688425ae-8db0-11df-acaa-005056c00008}
    Bootloader Path: \NST\ntldr

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks
    Glad we were able to help. At times MBR problems can be difficult to diagnose. Have fun with your dual boot PC. Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted