Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Computers are not my generation.

I often read about booting a computer from a USB thumb drive often using Linux and often for the purpose of accessing a computer that won't boot.
    This is in place of a CD with Linux on it.
    One set of directions I have is to use Puppy Linux on a thumb drive to boot and access data files for recovery and repair.

1) MAIN QUESTION = if one uses a thumb drive for this purpose, MUST the OS such as Linux be the ONLY thing on the drive.

If there are any data files on the thumb drive does that mess up the "bootability" of the Linux OS ???????????

Almost seems kind of a waste of storage to have a 4GB thumb drive with a less than 1GB OS on it.
    However thumb drives are cheap these days and larger than in the past.

2) If your mobo does NOT list a thumb drive in the boot sequence, then I assume that that option is not applicable and the only other method is to use a CD with Linux.

Thanks in advance.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1) MAIN QUESTION = if one uses a thumb drive for this purpose, MUST the OS such as Linux be the ONLY thing on the drive.
    No, I use thumb drives as bootable restore drives for Macrium reflect. I usually add a data folder in the root of the drive and put whatever I want in there. Depending on the boot OS you use, this folder location may not be available when you use the drive to boot.... It is available when plugging the drive into a running system. There may be another caveat here depending on what file system the Linux boot os you use formats the drive as.

2) If your mobo does NOT list a thumb drive in the boot sequence, then I assume that that option is not applicable and the only other method is to use a CD with Linux.
    If your mobo does not support usb booting you are out of luck. (the option may not show up unless a usb drive is attached) I know that using the F12 boot menu on Dell does not show the usb boot option unless a usb drive is plugged in at startup.