New Lounger
    Thanks
    i want to expand drive c ( os ) by shrinking drive d - i can shrink drive d but once i do that drive c expand is still disabled . so i end up just putting back to drive d the volume i just shrunk and at the point i started from with drive c full.

Thanks
    How, precisely are you going about it, and what program are you using to try and do this?
    A third party partitioning program may be able to acomplish this much easier than the native Windows 7 Drive Manager.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bert strong View Post
    i want to expand drive c ( os ) by shrinking drive d - i can shrink drive d but once i do that drive c expand is still disabled . so i end up just putting back to drive d the volume i just shrunk and at the point i started from with drive c full.

Hi Bert and welcome

Can we assume drive "C" and "D" are in the same physical drive? what are you using to shrink the partitions? can you upload a snapshot of the drive setup?

thanks

Ken J
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using in the control panel - create and format hard disk partitions - I have in drive c ( os ) 58.8 GB and in drive d 397 GB. I'm just trying to avoid a 3rd party program it appears in win7 you can not manually expand drive c ??? but not sure about that - and to date all I been doing when drive c gets full is transfer all photos , music and film clips to an external hard drive.

Thanks
    Type "diskmgmt" into the start menu search box, when Disk Manager comes up, right click on the drive
    you want to shrink. Select "Shrink Volume". Select your desired numbers, then click "Shrink".
    It may or may not ask you to boot the computer, at any rate make sure it has actually shrunk the drive.

Then go to your primary drive "C:" and right click on it. Select "Extend". You will have to boot in order for this
    change to take effect.

If Disk Manager doesn't work use a third party app like Partition Wizard Home, easy to use, easy to uninstall after.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    it still will not let me extend drive c by the amount i shrink drive d so will try the partition wizard software.

Thanks
    I've just tried shrinking my D: drive and the space reclaimed was added at the end of the partition.

In order to be able to extend the C: drive, the free space would need to have been before the D: partition. A simple (or on purpose) oversight by Microsoft in the disk management tools.

It would seem that Clint's suggestion is the one to follow.

I've added a snapshot of my disk config which I imagine is the same as Bert's

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian B Brown View Post
    I've just tried shrinking my D: drive and the space reclaimed was added at the end of the partition.

In order to be able to extend the C: drive, the free space would need to have been before the D: partition. A simple (or on purpose) oversight by Microsoft in the disk management tools.

It would seem that Clint's suggestion is the one to follow.

I've added a snapshot of my disk config. which I imagine is the same as Bert's

If you can copy all data from drive "D" to an external drive you could delete partition "D", then expand "C" to size required, then add a drive letter "D" to the unallocated partition to reclaim Drive "D". Then copy saved data back to drive "D"

hope this helps
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Curiousclive View Post
    If you can copy all data from drive "D" to an external drive you could delete partition "D", then expand "C" to size required, then add a drive letter "D" to the unallocated partition to reclaim Drive "D". Then copy saved data back to drive "D"

hope this helps
    It is just so much easier to use Partition Wizard to accomplish this. I was even able to reclaim the recovery partition Sony added with my old Vista OS. I do not ever plan on going back to Vista. Just download Partition Wizard and run it, done!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    It is just so much easier to use Partition Wizard to accomplish this.
    I agree.

Bert was trying to avoid the use of third party software and I used my drive to show the limitations of the inbuilt tools!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

hope this helps
    This needed workaround to do a task that is so simple with third party tools should be explanation enough of WHY most of us do not use windows native tools to perform this task.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This needed workaround to do a task that is so simple with third party tools should be explanation enough of WHY most of us do not use windows native tools to perform this task.
    This workaround shouln't be too greatly discounted because if you think about it, there is data occupying that area intended to be expanded into, so any third party program in non-destructive mode has to MOVE that data out of the way before it can shrink the D drive on the proper side and extend C into that space. The "move" is the major task of this operation and how is it going to be accomplished? In some, possibly many cases, there is not enough room to simply "slide" the data over, so its more like a defragmentation operation where chunks of data are shuffled back and forth between temp storage places and thier newly assigned sectors. It will all get done in the end (most times) but sometime it can be more efficacious to copy the data off the intended target if a fast viable means is available, destructively rearrange the partitions and copy the data back on. It all depends...but I think when/if eSATA and USB3 is common, the copy off, copy on method might be preferable in many instances as it will take significantly less time.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good point Byron. I have used partition magic clear back on Win3.0 to move partitions with the data intact. We now have free tools that do the job just as well. I have never experienced data loss or destruction using the right tools to do this on live partitions

Back in the day, we not only didn't have fast interfaces, the only interface options we had was coax network or slave another drive in the machine.....

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone - I used Partition Wizard Home Edition 5 and after watching their video how to move and resize found in their FAQ page I felt confident and was able to shrink drive d and expand drive c as I wanted.