New Lounger
    Thanks
    After shut down, and trying to start in safe mode it still starts up windows, runs for a few minutes then the taskbar disappears and a few minutes later the desktop goes to a blank screen with only the cursor showing. Control, alt, delete does nothing. Shut of machine and start over but it goes thru the same routine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ Canistra View Post
    After shut down, and trying to start in safe mode it still starts up windows, runs for a few minutes then the taskbar disappears and a few minutes later the desktop goes to a blank screen with only the cursor showing. Control, alt, delete does nothing. Shut of machine and start over but it goes thru the same routine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    PJ,

You need to give us a little more info. My first impression is a heat problem. Is this machine new?, Is the power supply clogged up with dust or dirt. Maybe it's defective. Try to get another power supply to test with. Check your motherboard very carefully and look at the capacitors. Do they look like they're ready to explode? Do they show any signs of crude at the top. If they're defective and leaking this can cause your problem. If so only a new motherboard with solve problem. Be sure your memory sticks are securely inserted in the sockets.

Give us the brand of computer, age, OS you're using and any other info. Try re-installing OS and see if that helps. Better still try installing a free Linux version and if same problems arise then you'll know that it's hardware and not software. Good luck.

Norm

Thanks
    Yes, more info is needed;
    Do you have, or have you made a recovery disk since purchase.
    Is your laptop supplied with a recovery disk or a recovery partition.

In many instances a laptop manufacturer will include some form of recovery option in the boot menu.
    What you want right now is an option to do a repair, or a "restore to an earlier system restore point", if used.

Look over your documentation to see if this is so.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's my grandaughter's puter and I have to wait for her to find out what disks, if any, that she has. Hopefully she will have the orginal disk for win7.
    Computer is a Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop, 2 years old, 3gb of memory, 250 gb. hard drive.Windows7 has been installed sinse January '10 and its worked well since.
    I was able to get in safe mode and do a diagnostic check and everything checkout ok ?? Ran checkdisk and it made some corrections but none of this seems to help,,The machine still shuts down after running for 5 minutes or so...the power supply is fine and the battery is in good shape..
    Thank you guys for your responses. I'll get back after I see if she has a win7 disk..

Thanks
    Try to find out from your grandaughter what was going on just prior to the current problems;
    New program installs, software/operating system updates, etc.

See if a system repair or a system restore can be done with the Windows 7 disk from a boot environment.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I also suspect a heat problem. Since this is a laptop, it is important that all cooling fins on both sides of the laptop are clean of debris. Make sure she is using the laptop on a hard surface so that the cooling fins are left totally in the open. If none of this helps, a visit to your local PC repair person may be in order. Laptops are not as easy to open or T/S as desktops are. If the laptop has been used improperly over the 2 years your grand daughter has had it, components may have been stressed by heat build up to a point they are failing. I suppose it's possible it's a S/W issue, but it does not sound like it. If she can keep it powered on long enough perhaps a system restore to a point before the problem began may help, but that sounds doubtful.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Perhaps a stupid comment, but: Does this only happen AFTER you press shut down, or does it shut down 5 minutes after boot up? If the latter, check that there is nothing strange in the windows power managment setup...?
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    Before you take it in to a repair shop, you might want to buy a can of compressed air and spray it in all outlet and inlet ports to dislodge accumulated dust. Keep the can upright as turning it upside down could spray liquid instead of air.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for the replies.The win7 disk is at school and she won't be going there for 3 weeks, so the puter will have to wait till then....thanks again