New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently replace McAfee security with Microsoft Security Enhancements. MSE seems to be working fine, but about once every 5-10 boot-ups, Win XP hangs and I have to power off, and try again. So far it has always come up fine after it fails.

The fact that this has started since I installed MSE may be completely coincidental, but I'm suspicious. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Thanks
    Was the McAfee thoroughly removed prior to the MSE installation?
    Is there any other antimalware programs running in real time on the system?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't remember if I removed McAfee BEFORE installing MSE, but as of now McAfee no longer appears in "All Programs" or Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John S Lawrence View Post
    I don't remember if I removed McAfee BEFORE installing MSE, but as of now McAfee no longer appears in "All Programs" or Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs"

Does this mean the problem is solved? How did you "remove" McAfee? Did you uninstall it? Just because it does not appear on the lists does not mean it's gone. McAfee has a removal tool for it's products. This post has a link about half way down to download the McAfee removal tool. Quite often the resident Windows uninstaller, and even the built in app uninstaller leaves a lot of stuff behind. The removal tool may do a better job than the uninstaller does. Or perhaps a 3rd party uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller (scroll down a ways to download the free version) or Absolute Uninstaller will do a much more complete job. A registry cleaner such as CCleaner will help to clean up the orphaned registry tidbits the uninstaller left behind.

Leaving parts of a commercial security app can and often does cause conflicts with your new AV/AM app. These 3rd party commercial apps have long claws and dig their way into your OS very deeply and are not always easy to uninstall completely.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I would recommend uninstalling MSE for a time and see if the behavior persists.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just ran the McAfee removal tool and will see if that helps. I meant to look at the log to see what it did, but didn't before I said 'yes' to reboot now. Not sure if it's still around, but a quick look didn't find it.

Thanks for the pointer ... hopefully that will work.