New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to extend my Windows 7 primary partition to use the free 86 Mb on the same disk, but the extend option is grayed out in the Disk Management utility. Is there a way to do this?

[attachment=89218artition.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Hi Richard, and welcome to the Lounge!

You will find a third party partition manager more useful in a situation like this. Try Partition Wizard here . It is compatible with Win7 32 or 64 bit editions.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Silverberg View Post
    I would like to extend my Windows 7 primary partition to use the free 86 Mb on the same disk, but the extend option is grayed out in the Disk Management utility. Is there a way to do this?

[attachment=89218artition.png]

Richard, I would also like to welcome you to the Lounge.

Is there a compeling reason to keep the Win 7 RC as well. I see that also occupies approx 86 GB of space, but now that you have Win RTM installed, you might want to consider reclaiming that space as well. I also use Partition Wizard (Free). It is very user friendly and will reclaim space both behind the primary partition and ahead of it. I used it to reclaim the manufacturer loaded recovery partition (Vista) since I never want to go back to Vista again.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Ted. You wrote : I also use Partition Wizard (Free).

Good on you. I use gParted and I find that when resizing a partition, it takes a long time. I realize that it has to "slide" down or up the addresses of the next sectors for continuity. Is Partition wizard also slow in this regard ?

Tell Trina not to move this request, I would get lost. JP.

Thanks
    It's been a while since I used it, but if my old memory serves me it was reasonably fast. I was pleasantly surprised how well it performed. I found Gparted somewhat techy and less user friendly.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

I use the above tool (this one only works for 32bit, not for 64bit). It takes about 5 minutes to reduce the size of a partition, create and format a new partion in the unused space. (It does have to reboot the computer to do this and I am not counting the restart time)

The above is taking a 250gig disk that is in one partion, reducing the primary partion to 100gb and creating a new 150gb secondary partion and formatting the new partition.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Silverberg View Post
    I would like to extend my Windows 7 primary partition to use the free 86 Mb on the same disk, but the extend option is grayed out in the Disk Management utility. Is there a way to do this.
    Another way to do this would be to delete the "M" partition, extend the "G" partition to the left and then shorten the "G" partition from the right. Finally extend the "C" partition to the left. At any rate, this will have to be done in stages.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your excellent suggestions. I am now ready to proceed with Partition Wizard to recover the entire drive for Windows 7. However, I'm a bit nervous about re-sizing the disk with my operating system! I would like some assurance that this procedure is really safe. My data is, of course, backed up, but I would be very, very unhappy if I had to re-install Windows and all my apps. Thanks again!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have never experienced destruction with resizing when the proper tool was used. However, before making ANY major changes, spending 30 minutes creating an image is pretty cheap insurance.

I use the following...

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Thanks
    Make sure you have an imaged back up your data. No one else will be responsible for your data loss.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I used Partition Wizard with no problems. I have repartitioned, recovered space and never lost any apps or data. This is perfectly safe. The app works fantasticcally. Definitely image first.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted