nshears

Linking tables as Read Only (97 SR-2)

Is it possible to link to tables with Read Only permission?

I have an Access .mdb (A) which is purely for reporting on data in another .mdb ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] maintained by a third application which is a .mde . It's important that the access from A to B is Read Only since most of the data validation is in the front end of C (which is a commercial application from a third party).

The user can specify the file for B. I'm linking the tables in code, but can't find a way to prevent the data in B being modified. (Users of A are able to create and modify queries, so they have direct access to the tables.)

This is about preventing mistakes rather than security. Am I trying to do the impossible? An upgrade to Access 2000 is unlikely for thenext few months (i.e. once the authors of C have released their upgrade).

Nick

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linking tables as Read Only (97 SR-2)

I have had good luck making the report dB(front end) a read only file, the queries/reports all seem to work just fine and no data can be changed on the other dB.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The other option is to turn on security by giving the admin account a password, and then changing the properties for the users group to be read-only - i.e. no update, no delete and no add. This should really be done in both the back-end and the front-end that has attached tables.

Actually, as I think about it, I'm not sure that making the front-end database read-only at the OS level will prevent you from modifying tables in the back-end. Be sure and test it. We do use that approach to prevent front-end databases from corrupting however with good success.
    Wendell

nshears

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid turning on security, because of the way the database is used and distributed. I'll have to experiment with doing so in my front-end database. It won't be possible to do so in the back-end since that is accessed from another fornt-end.

And you're right, making the file Read Only for my front-end at OS level does not prevent modification of data in the backend. Plus it does of course make it impossible for the user to modify queries and reports in the front-end, which would halve its functionality.

Nick

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Actually you may want to do it in both places, as a user could possibly open your back-end and modify tables. Setting security up just to limit access (but not trying to lock it up completely from malicious or clever users) is fairly simple. Just have everyone point to the same security file, make sure the priviledges of the admin user are nill, and create two groups of users that have different priviledges based their needs. The key points are that user and group definitions are done in the System.mdw file, and permissions on database objects are stored in the database.

If you have lots of users - say 20 or more - and they change frequently, administration of users can be burdensome - then you may not want to create individual user accounts. On the other hand, you may want to track who does what to whom, and individual user accounts lets you do that pretty easily. Also if you have that many users, you may want to copy the security file to their local hard drive to minimize problems with the file when user workstations crash. Hope this helps.
    Wendell