1. New Lounger
    Thanks
    The recycle bin shows items it has items in the desktop icon.

When I click on it the Confirm Multiple File Delete box pops up and asks:
    Are you sure you want to delete these 41 items

In the local Disk (C
    My Network Places
    Recycle Bin -if I click on the recycle bin it opens and nothing shows there
    [attachment=89219:7-13-2010 1-52-47 AM.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    If you could get ahold of the windows XP "tweakui" and select "repair", at the bottom; Rebuild Icon.
    I seem to recall having that very same problem in XP from time to time.

You may also try changing themes in XP, boot, then change theme back to your liking.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Hi Robert, I had similar with W7, I put 2 items from desktop into recycle bin, attempted to empty immediately but they had simply vanished. In your case it could be files deleted from an external hdd that was powered off when trying to delete them.
    George's PC Specs Laptop. Desktop.

5. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds like you may not have the recyxle bin "activated".. Go to Control Paned > system > System restore & make sure that the drive has "monitoring" enabled.

6. New Lounger
    Thanks
    I finally solved the problem, how I did it in case anyone else has a prooblem any of the other suggestions shared here do not work for you.
    I removed CC Cleaner completely from my.and rebooded the system and the recycle bin was working again.
    I then downloaded a new version of CC Cleaner and ren it and it cleaned out the recycle bin as it is supposed to. Used the system for awhile and checked the recycle bin and it was working fine. YES!!!!