3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Insert Field Problem (Word 2000 SR1a)

I have a document with a series of two column tables. The right hand column contains text describing various fields in a program. The description is then made into a bookmark with the bookmark name being the field name.
    In other documents I use Insert | Field | Links and References | Insert Text to insert a reference that reads{INSERT TEXT Elements Bookmarkname} where Elements is the name of the document with the bookmarks.
    It all works fine except every so often when I print one of the docs that links to Elements, instead of updating the fields I get Error! Cannot open file.
    If I then open Elements, do a Save As using the same name and in the same directory everything is OK again, for a while.
    I cannot track down why it keeps breaking. Does anyone have any ideas please?
    Peter Grainge

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Insert Field Problem (Word 2000 SR1a)

Hi Peter:

Do you mean INCLUDETEXT, rather than INSERT TEXT? I'm not sure why it would work sometimes & not others, unless the documents have some corruption. Also, are you using aboslute paths with double backslashes in the filename & path?

I'm wondering if when you do a SaveAs, if you're then copying the file to a local folder so that you don't need the absolute path.

Hope this gives you some leads.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes I did mean INCLUDETEXT, apologies. I didn't have any path information as all the documents are in the same directory. Re Save As, I am saving in the same folder overwriting the original document.
    I will now try with some path information to see if it makes a difference. Had hoped to avoid it so that anyone could copy the files to any directory and use them, as long as they were all in the same directory.
    Fortunately not a problem if that cannot be done, just so long as it works for me!
    Thanks for the pointer.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Peter:
    It should work without full paths, if the files are all in the same folder. I'm guessing right now, but:
    1) check to see if the template or documents have a hyperlink base specified. If that is incorrect, it could cause a problem.

2) Is there anything that you can pinpoint that you're doing before it happens?

Just some thoughts. I'll look further when I get a chance.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil
    There is no hyperlink base specified. I am not familiar with that option but will look at one of my books or the help.
    At first I thought the problem was linked to having created a pdf file from the document. Now I suspect it is just when it updates when going to any printer (I have fields set to update on printing). However, it is an apparently random feature so still trying to track it down.
    I am going to be out of the office much of today and then away for a long weekend so please excuse me if I do not respond promptly to anything else you may post re this one.

Thanks

Peter

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Peter:
    I'm curious. Did you ever find a solution to this?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately no.

It is no longer a problem in the sense the documents produced using that method do not and will not require any further editing. I had to cut my losses and continue with fresh work where the idea has not been required thus far. Also because it is a random problem, any solution cannot be confirmed as having worked until the fields have been updated at least say five to ten times.

Sorry it's not good news.

Peter