New Lounger
    Thanks
    My CPU runs at 100% most of the time, even when the Task Manager shows only 3 or 4 processes using CPU and then totaling only 8-10%. I suspect that closed applications are not completely shutting down and getting out of the queue. Short of doing a clean install and then having to also install all of my apps, is there a way to clean out the cobwebs?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Craig,

If you do not use the indexing on Windows Search in Vista, then you could disable the Indexing Service. Indexing is less efficient in Vista than in Windows 7, and can swallow a lot of resources. Another thing to look at is Disk Defragmenter. It is scheduled by default to run at 1:00 AM (I think on Wednesday night)once per week. If your computer is off when it is scheduled to do a defrag check, it will run when you start your computer.

Many processes and auto starting software do not show up (or are difficult to identify) in Task Manager. You can get a more thorough listing by downloading and running Sysinternals Process Explorer and Autoruns software . These are owned by Microsoft now and are available free. They can help you identify what is gobbling up CPU cycles so you can effectively deal with them. They can also help you to spot malware that may have deposited a process or service to consume CPU cycles.

Another great application for cleaning out junk files on your computer is CCleaner by Piriform Software . Check here in this thread for a discussion of CCleaners use and how to use safe settings. CCleaner will not directly affect your CPU cycles, unless there are corrupt Internet temp files, etc. that need to be cleaned out. It will help keep accumulated temp files and such from building up on your hard drive.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    I agree that cleaning out all the temp files may go a long way toward solving the problem. CCleaner is used almost daily on my PC. The link Gerald lists toward the CCleaner discussion is well worth reading. Sysinternals and autoruns will give a LOT of info. To see what is running there are a couple of other apps that may help. A resident MS app is msconfig.exe. Just type msconfig.exe in the search box. The startup tab will show what apps are starting when windows starts. Most people have MUCH more than they realize. I have trimmed my startup apps to 2, my AV/AM app (MSE) and my touchpad app on my laptop, that's it. All those apps that think they need to start, and run in the background is bunk. They do not need to run in real time to be responsive when you need them. Another app that many use to check start ups is What'sInStartup by Nirsoft.

Either way, cleaning out all the temp files (including internet) and stopping all the stuff running in the background should go a long ways toward "Cleaning out the cobwebs".
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Bourne View Post
    My CPU runs at 100% most of the time, even when the Task Manager shows only 3 or 4 processes using CPU and then totaling only 8-10%. I suspect that closed applications are not completely shutting down and getting out of the queue. Short of doing a clean install and then having to also install all of my apps, is there a way to clean out the cobwebs?
    Your CPU running 100% and Task Manager only show 10%. That does not make sense. Can you post a screenshot of Task Manager?

Joe