Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all,
    Just within the last week or so, when first booting into "7" \ 64 ( only after being off all night) the PC will on its own shutdown (random) and when it tries to restart ... it will "hang" at the "Starting Windows" screen. This will happen several times, (sometimes not) then goes away on its own. I can verify that it is not a "hardware problem", because my other systems (32 bit same PC) have so far not exhibited this behavior. ( can not say with 100% certainty because of the randomness of the problem) When searching this problem i have found that there are many reports of similar things happening to "7" \ 64 users. (one with the exact problem) So i guess my question is .... what would be a course of action to take to find this "bug" ....as i have never experienced the "unexpected shutdown" problem before? Or is anyone else having the same or similar thing going on? Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I see your machine has created a dump file. Can you post the output from Nirsofts Bluescreen view tool?

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

If you double click a crash file you will get a nifty little report that you can post.

Thanks
    Hi Fred, I can tell you with certainty that I have not experienced any random BSODs or shut downs since my memory
    issues were resolved last November-December. I am running a Windows 7, 64 bit os.

Have you explored the possibilities of a malware or some other infectious etiology?
    Have you explored the possibilities of an errant driver or software interaction?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    Hello all,
    Just within the last week or so, when first booting into "7" \ 64 ( only after being off all night) the PC will on its own shutdown (random) and when it tries to restart ... it will "hang" at the "Starting Windows" screen. This will happen several times, (sometimes not) then goes away on its own. I can verify that it is not a "hardware problem", because my other systems (32 bit same PC) have so far not exhibited this behavior. ( can not say with 100% certainty because of the randomness of the problem) When searching this problem i have found that there are many reports of similar things happening to "7" \ 64 users. (one with the exact problem) So i guess my question is .... what would be a course of action to take to find this "bug" ....as i have never experienced the "unexpected shutdown" problem before? Or is anyone else having the same or similar thing going on? Regards Fred
    Are you sure it's not a memory problem? Isn't 7 \ 64 capable of using more memory than 32 bit version? How much do you have?

BTW, I have not experienced any sort of hangs or BSODs on this box, which is +3 years old, originally XP, 2 Gb RAM, now 7 / 64 Ultimate w 4 Gb RAM, etc. So, at least I don't see where the bug could be hiding

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    mercyh, Clint, ripley,
    Hello ... Thanks for the reply's I have downloaded and installed the "nirsoft tool", and will see what happens tomorrow AM. As a side note... i was trying to make an Image with Acronis ..and received an error message ( run list corrupted) , which led me to try running "chkdisk/r" As the chkdsk was running i saw that it had deleted .. "Corrupt Attribute Record" xxxxxx. Acronis then was able to complete a image . Will see if this might have been responsible for the "blue screen" Thanks all", i will post back with the results Regards fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Good morning Fred...

I will every so often get a Windows Explorer has stopped working, or an IE has stopped working. In each case Windows seems to have corrected itself and solved the problem without my intervention. These seem so random and infrequent I have never bother to try to trace them down. I just continue where I left off. I have never had a shutdown, then hang as you describe. Hopefully the scandisk fix will solve your problem. It would be somewhat surprising that the shutdown and image problems both cropped up at the same time and yet be independant of each other, so there is a distinct possibility they are related. Since, after the scandisk fixed a problem, the image ran successfully, you may find the problem gone. You gotta watch out for those "bugs" running around your system. You sure you didn't press the wrong button. I call my problems with this the "fat finger syndrome". Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all,
    Just wanted to "update" this thread... The problem was solved by doing a "chkdsk\r" The clue in this was the Acronis error message "run list is corrupted" So far no more "Unexpected Shutdowns" Here is what i think caused the problem in the first place... I use "Acronis recovery" as a tool, and some days i will do several "recoveries" ( trying out things installing and deleting) In the time preceding the problem i did many recoveries ( more than 6) can't remember exactly, Trashed things trying to get my "Logitech SetPoint program to run at boot, and installing a screensaver shortcut to my taskbar. Thanks again for all your input. Regards Fred
    PS: ripley could you post back on how you do a "Mem Test" ... don't have a clue
    PlainFred

Thanks
    PS: ripley could you post back on how you do a "Mem Test" ... don't have a clue
    You could either run the default Windows memory diagnostic tool test from the Windows 7 DVD disk, the created Windows 7
    boot disk, or from within windows 7 itself by typing "Windows Memory Diagnostic" in search. It should proceed upon a boot.

You could also use a 3rd party tool like Memtest86. This would involve downloading an iso image of the tool, inserting it on to a bootable usb, floppy, or CD/DVD.

See above links for respective how to's.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Hello Fred,

When I first power on my PC, the Linux Grub Loader comes up so I can choose Linux mint or Win 7. One of the options on the loader is Memtest86+. Might this be what you are looking for? Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, Clint ,
    Thanks Guys, I'm going to do this right now Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Win 7 Memory Diagnostic Tester is explained here. It is suggested to use both memtest86 and Win7 Memory Tester one at a time.

Just type Memory in the search box and select Windows memory Diagnostic. You can choose to run immediately or at your next reboot.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    there is some information on Memtest86 results in this thread:

http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...owtopic=776288