2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

LANGALIST PLUS

Troubleshooting broken apps and shortcuts

By Fred Langa

If you click on an icon to run a program and nothing happens, the program could be hosed — and that's bad news.

But it might only be the iconized shortcut that's messed up, and that's a cinch to fix. This week's first item illustrates both these possibilities.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/07/15/05 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by revia; 2011-01-19 at 15:49.

Lounger
    Thanks
    How to replace a pirated copy of Win7

Glen's trying to do the right thing: upgrade a pirated copy of Windows to a normal retail copy.
    Assuming that the pirated copy doesn't contain any 'surprise extras' found in so much unlicensed software from the Internet, surely all Glen has to do is enter the licensed product key in the system properties and then activate it? This is done by right-clicking on 'Computer', choosing Properties and then clicking 'Change product key' at the bottom of the window.

Of course if he's not sure about the source of the original software then a complete format and re-install from a known-good DVD is the best plan.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    An additional complication may come from attempting an in-place upgrade particularly if he is getting a "windows is not genuine" message. In that case, an in-place upgrade won't work. This happened to me just recently when some software I was attempting to install and uninstall broke the WGA. After a re-boot Windows reported I was running a non-genuine version.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    +1 on Thomas' advice. Just change the product key if he's sure it's clean. Personally, if I knew it was pirated, I'd be unwilling to chance that something else was on it and would reformat and start all over.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bennett View Post
    Assuming that the pirated copy doesn't contain any 'surprise extras' found in so much unlicensed software from the Internet, surely all Glen has to do is enter the licensed product key in the system properties and then activate it? This is done by right-clicking on 'Computer', choosing Properties and then clicking 'Change product key' at the bottom of the window.

Of course if he's not sure about the source of the original software then a complete format and re-install from a known-good DVD is the best plan.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you click on an icon to run a program and nothing happens, the program could be hosed — and that's bad news.

But it might only be the iconized shortcut that's messed up, and that's a cinch to fix. This week's first item illustrates both these possibilities.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The sites posted on "Windows Secrets" 7/15/10 reference "Anonymizers", all 3 said "Microsoft is unable to display this page".
    Maybe it's just for the Pay Site" members.
    Phil

Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding Rick's friend's problem with the Control Panel, It's really hard to picture a problem from a written description but when I read it I saw a "display" problem.

Assuming the shortcut was actually working, and when it opened the taskbar icon showed it as such and provided a "thumbnail", but clicking on it went nowhere... Where is the program?

I've seen similarly described symptoms when the display at one time supported a 2nd monitor, and the control panel (or any app for that matter) was opened and then dragged to the 2nd monitor. The 2nd monitor has now been removed, but Windows still remembers where to display it.

Resetting the display to single monitor should obviously resolve, but even without fixing it, you can "drag" it back by using an old Windows 3.1 keyboard trick (still works in Win 7 tho). With the Control Panel as the "Active" window, hit Alt-Space, then M for "Move", then use the left or right arrow keys to bring the app back onto the display.

Is it possible that's what's going on here?

PCMechanic
    Halifax, NS