Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems hard to believe that I had this notebook for 90 days already. But, so it is. McAfee trialware internet suite is expiring now. That includes firewall, antivir, etc. Win7 says that the windows firewall has been taken over by McAfee. I suppose that is Ok, but, it doesn't sound nice. Not sure if that complicates replacements. Anyway, I now need to uninstall & replace everything. Looking for suggestions from anyone who has been this route. Please note: this is 64Bit Win7.
    Thanks,
    Michael

Thanks
    If you have been satisfied with the use of the McAfee trialware internet suite, then you can anti up to the paid subscription.
    I believe this would not involve having to uninstall McAfee suite to continue it's paid usage, but check with McAfee on the details.

If you can't afford to, or are not willing to go for a pain for subscription, then there are many freely available programs available to use in replacement.
    You will not likely get an "all in one suite" without some form of paid subscription.

If you decide on using something other than the McAfee suite, make sure that you uninstall the program in it's entirety prior to installing any other solution:
    How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe)

Whst I use:
    Windows 7, 64 bit default firewall
    Microsoft MSE
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Many others' opinions to follow...
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a thumbs up on Clint's recommendation. Clean, lean and complete enough for me....

I only use Malwarebyte's free version for periodic manual scans to double check MSE.

Thanks
    Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate

MSE
    Malwarebytes for manual scans
    Spybot S&D for manual scanss
    Win 7 Firewall

Never had an infection. Very pleased.

McAfee has been having many well publicized problems recently. A Google search has many links to this. My wife work in an IT dept at a university and they recently switched from McAfee to Sophros because of Mcafee problems.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    McAfee has been having many well publicized problems recently.
    I have no reservations for using freeware apps in this area. On my XP desktop I use Comodo &AVG & others. I am not necessarily a freeware fanatic, I just think Comodo is the best. Back when I installed AVG it was very popular. Since that time Avira Antivir seems to be rated higher in some forums. The primary reason listed is a reduction of about 20 seconds off boot time with Avira. Also, it seems Avira takes a smaller memory foot print. Hence it runs faster.
    I am leaning towards removing McAfee trialware because of negative publicity. Not determined, just leaning.
    At this point I am impressed with the many opinions about MSE. I definately am leaning in that direction.
    What I am curious to learn is if the Microsoft firewall is reasonably comparable to Comodo.
    Hope to hear how several others tackled this problem, including their choices.
    Michael

Thanks
    I agree with Clint, Mercyh & Ted

Windows 7 firewall
    MSE
    Malwarebytes

I also have a hardware firewall in my router so the Windows 7 firewall has little, if any to do!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelA View Post
    What I am curious to learn is if the Microsoft firewall is reasonably comparable to Comodo.
    Hope to hear how several others tackled this problem, including their choices.
    Michael
    Hi Michael,

Like the others who posted, I use Windows 7 64 bit Firewall. If you have a router in your home network, the Windows 7 Firewall is just fine. I use Comodo Firewall on XP Pro 64 bit and it does a great job. But it has a larger footprint than the firewall in Windows 7.

Using the Advanced section of the Windows 7 firewall can be confusing. If you want an easy way to control outbound connections using Windows 7 Firewall, there is a free program available from Sphinx Software called Windows 7 Firewall Control available for download here. Be sure to download the 64 bit version. It originally came out to address the outbound weakness of Vista's firewall, and is still great for use on Vista.

I use it, and it will halt any program or service that attempts to make an outbound connection until you give the permission to do so. And you get to decide to allow the connection one time only, or allow continually without bothering you again. It is a gui program that has a small footprint and takes minimal system resources.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want an easy way to control outbound connections using Windows 7 Firewall, there is a free program available from Sphinx Software called Windows 7 Firewall Control
    That sounds really great. i will look into that.

If you have a router in your home network, the Windows 7 Firewall is just fine.
    Actually, right now I don't have a router. Just curious how much difference this makes???
    If it's important, I would be willing to purchase one. But, then the next question = which would be best??
    Thanks for great replies,
    Michael

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, right now I don't have a router. Just curious how much difference this makes???
    If it's important, I would be willing to purchase one. But, then the next question = which would be best??
    Thanks for great replies,
    Michael
    It makes a huge difference.

Here is Windows Secrets own recommendations:

http://windowssecrets.com/reviews/security-baseline/

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If it's important, I would be willing to purchase one.
    It makes enough difference that I always advise friends and family to purchase one. Make sure that whatever you buy has a firewall in it. A significant amount of garbage internet traffic will never make it to your PC. It will be blocked at the router. You don't really need to get a third party firewall to install on your PC. One less thing to install and keep up-to-date is always better. In addition to those mentioned at Security Baseline - Firewall, Security Suite, Update Management I am very pleased with a D-Link DIR-655. You can find it at Newegg.com - D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Wireless Router or Amazon.com: D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Gigabit Wireless Router: Electronics for < $100.00 USD.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I have a linksys 610N (I think, I'm at work and trying to remember). It's a dual band. I am not as happy with it as I had hoped. It's in another room, upstairs, but in the same house (regular construction), but does not always have the best connection. It's fast enough, but sometimes drops off or doesn't allow conn right away in the morning. I would most likely look at another brand if mine needed replacing right now. My previous was a netgear and that's why I have the linksys now.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mike,

All of the above is good info, but if you want a third party free anti-virus program I highly recommend Avira-Antivirus Free Personnal Antivirus. It's very good and has saved my computer many times. I always install it when I fix computers for friends and relatives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Adding my 2 cents worth, Microsoft's Security Essentials is free and has been receiving some good reviews from the folks at PC Magazine, Maximum PC magazine, and even our own Fred Langa and Woody Leonhard. Of all the suites I've tried, MSE has by far the smallest footprint on my machine. Other suites used anywhere from 70 - 150MB. MSE uses just under 12MB. I supplement MSE with Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, and Trend Micro's Rootkit Buster. All are free and are used as on demand scanners only. Windows default firewall has also served me well.

I remember what a much more experienced user once told me: "No anti-malware product will ever be 100% effective 100% of the time. Depending on what day of the week it is and the positioning of the sun, moon and stars, whatever anti-malware product is rated #1 today will not necessarily be #1 tomorrow. Use whatever feels right because using something is better than not using anything at all."

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I supplement MSE with Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, and Trend Micro's Rootkit Buster. All are free and are used as on demand scanners only.
    I highly recommend Avira-Antivirus Free Personnal Antivirus.
    If I was currently using MSE I probably would know this, but, unfortunately i need to ask;
    Is MSE on demand or full time???
    Does Avira-Antivirus conflict with MSE???
    Michael

Thanks
    MSE is full time (real time) runs in the background and just does it's job. Best I have ever used (Norton years ago, Avast, Avira, Bit Defender)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast