Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Uranium Lounger CWBillow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV USA
    Posts
    6,371
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Dunno if I'm the only one that still uses the Quick Launch bar, and from there, misses the "Send To Quick Launch (shortcut). If you are and you do take a look here:

    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/ad...ndows-xpvista/

    Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

    ~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

  2. #2
    Silver Lounger Duchess843's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sicklerville, NJ
    Posts
    2,488
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Dunno if I'm the only one that still uses the Quick Launch bar, and from there, misses the "Send To Quick Launch (shortcut). If you are and you do take a look here:

    http://www.winhelpon...indows-xpvista/

    Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    Thank you Chuck,

    Yes indeed, I've missed one of my favorite XP programs. I searched the web and Google trying to find how to install it for Windows 7 but no luck.

    I also miss the windows xp search that had the picture of the little doggie (Rover, I think his name was) appear when you started a search. If you find a fix for that one I sure would appreciate it. The Windows 7 search leaves much to be desired in my humble opinion.

    Thanks so much or the information about Quick Launch.

    Gloria
    <img src=/S/coffeetime.gif border=0 alt=coffeetime width=32 height=48>

  3. #3
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Burrton, KS, USA
    Posts
    833
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Dunno if I'm the only one that still uses the Quick Launch bar
    I dunno either. I used to use quicklaunch all the time but have fallen totally in love with "pin to taskbar" instead.

  4. #4
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South of the North Pole
    Posts
    919
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I find that creating and sending a shortcut to desktop (if needed) and then dragging to move to QuickLaunch is good enough for me since I so infrequently promote an application thusly. While I really like jumplists once I have one instance open (like Remote Desktop), QL is never going away on my systems because mixing the active programs with those that are just occupying space at the moment becomes more than a bit of clutter with open source and destination folders and some heavy duty multitasking in progress, and I only want to use grouping as a last ditch option.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Renton, Washington, USA
    Posts
    12,560
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    On a Windows 7 machine it is called "Pin to Taskbar" by default there is NO Quick Launch, but there is a HACK that will add this area back in for one. But why would one want the area when the new taskbar does it also.

    Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

  6. #6
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Burrton, KS, USA
    Posts
    833
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    On a Windows 7 machine it is called "Pin to Taskbar" by default there is NO Quick Launch, but there is a HACK that will add this area back in for one. But why would one want the area when the new taskbar does it also.
    Byron makes a good point in answering this question. In the past the taskbar has been a collection of OPEN programs. Now it can contain a mixture of OPEN programs and shortcuts to UNOPENED programs. In an evironment where one has 20 or more programs open at once, this can give quite a cluttered taskbar and it can be difficult to determine what is open and what is just a link.

    One other thing I have found, and I have not played with it much so there may be a workaround, if you have Internet Explorer pinned to the task bar, you cannot open multiple instances of it by clicking the task bar icon multiple times. Once it is open, the icon becomes the link to the open session so clicking it a second time just takes you back into your open session.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator Deadeye81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,654
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 113 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    One other thing I have found, and I have not played with it much so there may be a workaround, if you have Internet Explorer pinned to the task bar, you cannot open multiple instances of it by clicking the task bar icon multiple times. Once it is open, the icon becomes the link to the open session so clicking it a second time just takes you back into your open session.
    Hi mercy,

    Multiple instances of any program can be opened by pressing the shift key when clicking the task bar icon a second or third time (and so on). It also works with IE.
    Deadeye81

    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

  8. #8
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Burrton, KS, USA
    Posts
    833
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Gerald,

    Thanks a lot for the tip.....

    I figured if I posted that little gripe you or some other genius on here would have a simple answer.....

  9. #9
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,592
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    One other thing I have found, and I have not played with it much so there may be a workaround, if you have Internet Explorer pinned to the task bar, you cannot open multiple instances of it by clicking the task bar icon multiple times. Once it is open, the icon becomes the link to the open session so clicking it a second time just takes you back into your open session.
    Or right click the taskbar icon and click on "Internet Explorer".

    Joe
    Joe

  10. #10
    Silver Lounger Duchess843's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sicklerville, NJ
    Posts
    2,488
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi mercy,

    Multiple instances of any program can be opened by pressing the shift key when clicking the task bar icon a second or third time (and so on). It also works with IE.
    They say when in doubt, ask a question. Please explain to me why one would want to open more than one instance of a web page at the same time?

    I use QL when there is no pin to taskbar available.
    <img src=/S/coffeetime.gif border=0 alt=coffeetime width=32 height=48>

  11. #11
    Uranium Lounger CWBillow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV USA
    Posts
    6,371
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duchess843 View Post
    Thank you Chuck,

    Yes indeed, I've missed one of my favorite XP programs. I searched the web and Google trying to find how to install it for Windows 7 but no luck.

    I also miss the windows xp search that had the picture of the little doggie (Rover, I think his name was) appear when you started a search. If you find a fix for that one I sure would appreciate it. The Windows 7 search leaves much to be desired in my humble opinion.

    Thanks so much or the information about Quick Launch.

    Gloria
    Glad I could share something of use Gloria...

    Oh, and also, it took a little fiddling to get this to work right, but here's one of my favorites from XP days:

    http://www.gabrieleponti.com/downloads/sendtotoys.exe
    Edit, Warning this link will down load to your system,
    If you want INFORMATION use http://www.gabrieleponti.com
    Added by DaveA

    Regards,
    Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

    ~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

  12. #12
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Burrton, KS, USA
    Posts
    833
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duchess843 View Post
    They say when in doubt, ask a question. Please explain to me why one would want to open more than one instance of a web page at the same time?
    Not more than one instance of a single web page maybe, but a bunch of instances of Internet Explorer with a bunch of different web pages. Sometimes I want to see the contents of two or three web pages at the same time in separate windows. Tabs don't work so well for this so I need to open two different instances of IE (or firefox) and put them side by side on my screen.

  13. #13
    Silver Lounger Duchess843's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sicklerville, NJ
    Posts
    2,488
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    Not more than one instance of a single web page maybe, but a bunch of instances of Internet Explorer with a bunch of different web pages. Sometimes I want to see the contents of two or three web pages at the same time in separate windows. Tabs don't work so well for this so I need to open two different instances of IE (or firefox) and put them side by side on my screen.
    That's a good reason and I thank you for sharing yours.
    <img src=/S/coffeetime.gif border=0 alt=coffeetime width=32 height=48>

  14. #14
    Super Moderator Deadeye81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,654
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 113 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duchess843 View Post
    They say when in doubt, ask a question. Please explain to me why one would want to open more than one instance of a web page at the same time?
    Duchess, you can also open two instances of Windows Explorer and use Aero Snap to equally divide your display between the two Explorers. This can make copying multiple folders and files easier than when done in one instance of Explorer.
    Deadeye81

    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

  15. #15
    Uranium Lounger CWBillow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV USA
    Posts
    6,371
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duchess843 View Post
    That's a good reason and I thank you for sharing yours.
    I suppose, Gloria et al, that I am just stuck in my old ways. Not only have I not given up the QL bar, but I use a program that adds the capability for active and virtual folders (not just (only) open explorer windows, but scroll-able menus, including to specific system folders (Favorites, Control Panel etc.)

    It's a honey.

    http://www.truelaunchbar.com/

    Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

    ~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •