New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an HP Officejet Pro 8500 all-in-one printer. It runs very well. The problem is that is hogs my system CPU resources. Most of the time it is using 60-80% of the cpu. I ran wireshark on it and it is sending SNMP messages to the printer about every 3 seconds.
    I also get a "DeviceIO Notification" won't shutdown popup when I try to turn the PC off.
    I am running a Dell 4600 desktop w 2Gb ram and XP Pro.

I have not been able to get thru to HP so far . Has anyone else had this problem ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had many, many HP Printers over the last decade and consider them my default as they have always been so reliable and satisfactory. But, the new 8500 is a real disappointment. When it works, it's fine. The first one didn't work, so I returned it under warranty, after having it about 5 days. The replacement they sent me we broken. So I'm on the third one and I should send it back as the touch screen is out of registration, meaning when you touch a button it is usually off about an eighth of an inch. Makes entering text really tough. But, the huge problem I'm having is the printer keeps dropping off my computer. Meaning the driver disappears and I have to go through the long process of reloading it. I'm going to start a new thread about it.

But, all in all, I would not buy this printer again and I will look long and hard at HP's next All-In-One to make sure they fixed a bunch of stuff. If not, Canon will get my next purchase.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Shreve View Post
    I have an HP Officejet Pro 8500 all-in-one printer. It runs very well. The problem is that is hogs my system CPU resources. Most of the time it is using 60-80% of the cpu. I ran wireshark on it and it is sending SNMP messages to the printer about every 3 seconds.
    I also get a "DeviceIO Notification" won't shutdown popup when I try to turn the PC off.
    I am running a Dell 4600 desktop w 2Gb ram and XP Pro.

I have not been able to get thru to HP so far . Has anyone else had this problem ?
    Hi Robert, and welcome to the Lounge!

What operating system do you use? If Windows 7 is installed, do you have a Windows 7 compatible HP driver?

How long has this been going on? Has any new hardware or software been installed just before you noticed the problem?

Have you tried uninstalling the printer and checking the HP support site for an updated driver for the printer? If they have an updated driver available, you could install the printer with the new driver to see if that resolves the problems.

If no joy on the above, then perhaps you can go to the HP forums to see if any other owners have the same issue. Maybe you will find a fix discussed there.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My PC is a Dell 4600 desktop with 2GB of RAM.
    I am running XP Pro.
    I am using the wired network connection.

I am not having any hardware problems just the software one(s).

At the suggestion of a friend, I uninstalled everything and just installed the
    "basic driver" package. This did resolve the resource problem and the "DeviceIO" problem.
    It also eliminated the Fax function and I am unable to scan to a folder from the control panel.
    I still can scan to a USB drive, it's just more of a hassle.

I have been searching the Lounge and this seems to be a problem with more than just the 8500. A lot of
    the AIO's seem to have similar problems, pointing to HP's application as the problem.

One last observation, I noticed just before I uninstalled everything, one of the "svchost.exe' services used by the
    HP SW had to be shutdown due to a memory access error.

Anyway, thanks for the responses. It was 2 more than I got from HP.
    HP forums are littered with this problem with no solution.