Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone have any suggestions for idiot proof file transfers between remote PCs? Here's my situation:

1 office, 12 remote retail locations. Every night we need to send a file from the office to each store and one file from each store to the office. My store users are age 50 or so auto parts counter men who do not handle browser based file transfers very well. Before Vista, I had a visual basic program that built an email and attached their daily file to the email. All they had to do was click, send/receive, then save their incoming attachment. That worked well. Now without turning off UAC, it's just too complicated under Vista and Win7 to let a pgm create an email.

I've tried using the built in FTP command. But sometimes it just doesn't connect or otherwise fails. My counter men do not see error msgs buried in an FTP dialog.

I'm hoping someone has experience doing something like this with dropbox or any other file synching tool. Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    Before Vista, I had a visual basic program that built an email and attached their daily file to the email. All they had to do was click, send/receive, then save their incoming attachment. That worked well. Now without turning off UAC, it's just too complicated under Vista and Win7 to let a pgm create an email.
    It's very sad that UAC is requiring you to reengineer a process that otherwise appears to be completely satisfactory. Have you considered converting your VB app to a VBA application that runs inside Outlook? Or a VB control you could call from Outlook VBA? Well, I'm assuming you use Outlook...

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    It's very sad that UAC is requiring you to reengineer a process that otherwise appears to be completely satisfactory. Have you considered converting your VB app to a VBA application that runs inside Outlook? Or a VB control you could call from Outlook VBA? Well, I'm assuming you use Outlook...
    Not using Outlook, using Outlook Express and Windows Mail. Will those work as you're suggesting?

(I chose Old Timer because I'm an old mainframer. Don't know too much about windows programming. I still use VB6, never going to make it to .net)

Yes, UAC is problematic. I should be able to right click on my .exe file, select the Properties page, and somewhere click on a box that says, "This is my program. I know what it does and I want Windows to allow it to run unfettered." I know "they" would call that a security risk, but "they" should have a secure method for my approving an application's actions once and for all.

thanks for the reply

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If you can run these jobs on a schedule you can create a scheduled task that executes under an elevated account and UAC won't be an issue.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    Not using Outlook, using Outlook Express and Windows Mail. Will those work as you're suggesting?
    Sorry, no, neither Outlook Express nor Windows Mail has an internal programming environment.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    BLAT may be a workable solution.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    BLAT may be a workable solution.
    Thanks, Paul. BLAT does look like a workable solution. However, while reading about BLAT, I find out that you can send mail with Perl and PHP. So maybe I just need to buckle down and learn enough Perl or PHP to have my own send mail program. Always best when you control your own source code and therefore can make it work the way you want. Guess I'll have to research those options and then repost something writing your own send mail program.

later -

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Plenty of code for Perl/PHP mailers in your favourite search tool.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I already know I'll get flamed (again) for this, but if UAC is bugging you, just turn it off!
    There is a simple script for that. Google for it.

As for sharing files with multiple recipients, you can upload your file to a online server like Box.net (it's free) and then put a link to that file in an email that you can send to as many recipients as you wish. Then each person can download the file at their leisure, right from the link in the email.
    If for some reason the first download should fail, they can simply download it again.
    The file will remain on the server till you personally delete it.
    Works for me!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!