New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a cable ISP (fast but very unreliable) and a DSL ISP (slow but very reliable); I would like to be able to use my laptop (Dell Studio, 64 bit Vista) with either wireless network.

The cable system was working fine (when it worked), but when I added the DSL (this is going to sound crazy, but I swear it's true), the router I was using with the cable service changed its SSID to that of the DSL gateway--and it now refuses to allow me to make a change in this. Two questions, please:

1) How can I get the router for the cable system to work again?

2) Should I be able to use either of the wireless networds by logging into the preferred one, or is it only possible to have the laptop set up for a single network.

Thanks for any help anyone can give,

Don Chambless

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    but when I added the DSL (this is going to sound crazy, but I swear it's true), the router I was using with the cable service changed its SSID to that of the DSL gateway--and it now refuses to allow me to make a change in this.
    You are correct on THAT statement. How are you verifying that this happened?? Are you saying you can login to the router's configuration interface and cannot change the SSID???????

I would set this up with the two different routers on separate SSIDs. Save the settings for both on your laptop(s) and set the one you wish to try first to "connect automatically". If the link goes down simply disconnect from the first network, change connection type to manual and connect to the other network.

If you leave the setting to "automatic" on the first network, you will have a problem that as soon as the signal on the first network is stronger than the second network, your connection will switch back to the first network.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The best way to check/change the SSID is to connect via Ethernet cable and logon to the router.

cheers, Paul