2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Every once in a while my keyboard remaps itself so that when I want to type " a @ goes on the screen instead; and there are several other similar substitutions in various places on the keyboard. I run Windows 7 at home, but I've seen this annoyance at work, too, with XP, so it doesn't appear to be entirely a Windows problem. I can reset the keyboard to its defaults by holding Shift-Control for a fairly long time (10 secs or so), but I wonder what's causing it, and if there's something I can do to prevent it happening any more.

Thanks
    You could try removing any non-local settings from control panel/region and language.

In particular, check the keyboards and languages tab.

Edit: In the advanced settings there is a setting which uses left-alt+shift to change input languages, maybe you have been hitting that by mistake?

Lounger
    Thanks
    I found that to happen when I installed Win 7 and opted for the UK English keyboard, not knowing it is different from the US. Couldn't get an email address typed! In the end I went to Control Panel and to Region and Language, and keyboard languages. - I see someone else had mentioned this - duh! But I guess twice won't hurt, if I missed the first one!

Thanks
    Some information and other potentialy usefull tidbits:

How-to-Geek: Map Any Key to Any Key on Windows 7 / XP / Vista
    www.klm32.com: Keyboard Layout Manager
    Ghacks.net: The Ultimate Guide To Keyboard Remapping

Windows Vista & Windows 7 is similar:
    Click Start-->Control Panel-->Clock, Language and Region-->Change Keyboards.
    In the new window, click on the Change Keyboards button. This opens a new window called "Text Services and Input Languages".
    Click on the Add button. Scroll & check the English (United States) - United States-International keyboard. Click OK.
    Finally, in the upper part of the "Text Services and Input Languages" window, open the drop-down menu called Default Input Language and choose English (United States) - United States-International as your default for all input fields.

Keyboard layouts for many languages are available. However, they usually do not follow the "QWERTY" layout and some characters, especially punctuation, will not correspond to those printed on your keys. French uses "AZERTY" with letters a/q and z/w interchanged compared to the US keyboard.
    Keyboard layout From Wikipedia
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.