3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Every time I have tried a version of Firefox 3.6.x, the menu bars shrink to about half of their height. The printing on web pages becomes very tiny. Font sizes that were controlled by the Windows font size chosen in display preferences are no longer being used. I am legally blind and require larger font sizes on menu bars and web pages. I am using "No-Squint" and that works fine for web pages but does nothing for the menu bars. When I upgrade from version 3.5.9 to any version of 3.6.x, I have to readjust all of my No-Squint settings. When I switch back to version 3.5.9, my menu bars, fonts and No-Squint settings are returned to where they were. I would like to keep up with the version upgrades, but feel that control of the viewing has been hijacked.

I am now using version 3.5.10 without problems. I have learned that there is a setting in about.config called layout.css.dpi that controls the size of the menu bars. Apparently the wise folks at Mozilla have removed this function from the 3.6 versions. Adding it and then adjusting it it has absolutely no effect. I have posted this on the internet and complained to Mozilla about this, but they do not seem to care that some people are affected by this. There claim is the largest amount of real estate of any browser. If I need more real estate, all I have to do is hit F11 for full screen. I have also tried large themes and found them to be no bigger than the default theme.

Thanks for listening, maybe someone here has some pull with Mozilla. I might have to give Chrome a try, but I expect to lose a lot of the functionality I had with FF.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I feel your pain. I'm not legally blind or anything but view-ability is a big thing with me. Are you having the same problems with Internet Explorer? It may not be a favorite but if it solves your problem....

Another solution might be a larger screen. Since I started using a 22" TV/Monitor I can never go back to anything less. Have you tried the High-Contrast themes in Windows?

Try Googling "How to get a large menu size in Firefox" and see what comes up. Although I did not read the articles it seems others don't want what you're looking for. Ironic isn't it.

Anyways good luck. And take a serious look at a large screen (maybe 25" or bigger).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I have not used IE8 very much and as such have not tried to customize it. My monitor is a 20' and the resolution is supposed to be 1,600x900 which is where I have it set. When I used a CRT monitor, I would change the resolution to get my desired screen size. This is a 8 month old computer with Windows 7 and I control the screen size with custom DPI and appearance settings. I have seen high contrast screens in older OS'es and did not like them as all I really need is size. I also have my doubts that FF would use them as the layout.css.dpi setting when set to -1 is supposed to use the Windows settings and the function of this has been taken away by Mozilla. A larger monitor would mean a lot more moving my head but is worth consideration. I have also had issues with Yahoo mail and Windows Live mail that were completely resolved when switching back to version 3.5 of FF. With Y mail, I could not anchor the cursor to begin typing. With WL mail, links in emails would get an error message from FF that the action could not be completed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ldb View Post
    Every time I have tried a version of Firefox 3.6.x, the menu bars shrink to about half of their height.
    Not sure why that is happening. There is a hidden configuration file that allows you to set your own sizes for fonts in the browser "chrome" (the area other than the page you're viewing). This file is named userChrome.css and may or may not exist in your configuration already. On my Windows XP system, it is here:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\weird.profilename\chrome

To resize items on the menu, you could try adding this to your userChrome.css file (or, if it doesn't exist, right-click, choose create a new text file, rename it userChrome.css, and then edit it in Notepad or Wordpad and paste this in):

Code:
    /* Enlarge menu fonts by 50% */
    .menubar-text, .menu-text {font-size:150% !important;}
    There probably is a more global way to change fonts that would encompass the tabs and status bar, and the bookmarks on the Bookmarks menu, but that would require some further research.

If you Google for userchrome.css, you'll find a lot of articles with suggested rules. These are the ones I've had for years:

Code:
    /* Multi-row bookmarks toolbar */
    #bookmarks-ptf {display:block}
    #bookmarks-ptf toolbarseparator {display:inline}
    /* Hide the Remove All Cookies button in the Cookies dialog */
    #removeAllCookies {display:none !important}
    #removeAllPermissions {display:none !important;}

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks , I will play around with that.

Thanks
    Thanks , I will play around with that.
    This set of style selectors works better. Feel free to adjust the font size as desired (you have to restart Firefox in between changes, so you might want to temporarily use about:blank as your home page to speed that up).

Code:
    /* Set chrome fonts to 18px */
    .menubar-text, .menu-text, .menu-iconic-left, 
      .menu-iconic-text, #main-window {font-size:18px !important;}

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I see how I can play around with both of those. I removed the first one you gave me and substituted the second. 18pt was too large in this version of FF, but I will see how it works when I install the newest version. I did some research on the commands, but most were dealing with how to get rid of items and not resizing them. I am guessing that you kind of need an understanding of how to write HTML in order to understand these which I do not have.

Thanks
    I am guessing that you kind of need an understanding of how to write HTML in order to understand these which I do not have.
    There are two aspects. One is a general knowledge of CSS (cascading style sheets) syntax, the part in the curly braces ({}). That's pretty easy to find on the web. The hard part is figuring out what "selectors" go to the left of the opening curly brace. There's an extension named DOM Inspector that I used to poke around and figure out how to attach the font sizes. It's a fun tool, at least for geeks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I switched to version 3.6.6 and had to do a big time adjustment to the font sizes. I will also have to readjust all of my "No Squint" settings. I am already using the largest icons available on the navigation toolbar and would like them larger. What could I use to do this and thanks.

Thanks
    I suspect there is a problem with the conversion of one of your settings. Before manually hacking the icons, would you mind trying a new profile as a diagnostic? See: Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows @ MozillaZine Knowledge Base. It will look "factory fresh" except that it will pick up the plugins installed on your machine.

If the fonts and icons look normal, you can move your bookmarks and (selectively) your other settings to the new profile. See: Transferring data to a new profile - Firefox @ MozillaZine Knowledge Base.

Any luck?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did not notice any difference with the new profile. Wouldn't increasing the height of the nav bar do it? When I used version 3.5.x and had set layout.css.dpi to -1, it used the windows settings for title bar height. I adjusted these in the advanced appearance settings. These transferred to the FF toolbars and in fact I had to use the smaller icons setting to get them closer to what I wanted. This no longer works in FF 3.6.x.

Thanks
    When I used version 3.5.x and had set layout.css.dpi to -1, it used the windows settings for title bar height. I adjusted these in the advanced appearance settings.
    Yes, my (just installed) 3.6 just uses Windows settings and looks the same as 3.5 did. I don't understand why your new blank profile would not follow that rule. For some unknown reason I do have layout.css.dpi=-1 in this configuration. But since that is the default setting, I don't think it's essential. ???

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a setting of 96 which uses FF settings, -1 uses Windows settings and there is a setting of 0 (zero) that I cannot remember what it does. Setting the layout.css.dpi in any version of FF 3.6 has no effect. In any version of FF 3.5, you will see the changes immediately. That was my original complaint.

I found this article: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...?f=38&t=665725
    and adopted the css setting they proposed to this:

/* personal-navigation */
    .toolbarbutton-icon {height: 34px !important; width: 34px !important}

This seems to be working for me. I did not see a change from the way they had it so I tried putting it in the format like you had it and still nothing so I increased the size from 24 to 44 and wow, so I backed it off to 34 and it looks good and tweakable for the future. Please let me know if this is not the right context. Thanks
    [/quote]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Yes, my (just installed) 3.6 just uses Windows settings and looks the same as 3.5 did. I don't understand why your new blank profile would not follow that rule. For some unknown reason I do have layout.css.dpi=-1 in this configuration. But since that is the default setting, I don't think it's essential. ???
    If you've not done any custom resizing in the Windows interface then you would not see any changes to the default FF interface. Try changing the default value of layout.css.dpi to 96 and see if anything happens. If you wanted, you could change a Windows setting such as default DPI or increase the width of a title bar and then change the layout.css.dpi back to -1 and see if anything changed.

Thanks
    If you've not done any custom resizing in the Windows interface then you would not see any changes to the default FF interface.
    Whoops, I use "Large Fonts" in Windows XP's display properties and have customized the menu settings, so I can't say for sure what happens in a default installation. I'm not tempted to mess with DPI settings!

[attachment=89296:WinXP-Display-Menu.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images