2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Background: I am using CACHE to interpet an old flat file database. CACHE puts the data into tables and views for me. I then use the "Enterprise Manager" Import Wizard to define the table and fields with a Drop and Create new table package which I save in my local packages. All of the fields are set to import as "text" fields.

Problem: When CACHE "sees" bad data it puts a "~" in front of the value in the field. When SQL Server "sees" the "~" it interpets it correctly as an error. Unfortunately when an error in data is found during the import phase all I get is an empty table. Since the table is over 2M data rows this is frustrating. The errors will show up at any time along the way since this flat file dB is still the data respository for the data collection program.

Constraints: I only have access to the Enterprise Manager. The Integration Tools were never fully loaded and most likely will not be in the future. I am a telecomuter with limited support and have no way of loading any software onto my work station at the organizations HQ.

Any suggestions or stray thoughts that lead to suggestions will be emmesly appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the CACHE product - is it an add-on to SQL Server, or a stand-alone product? Also what version of SQL Server are you using - 5 or 2005 (5 is a very old version)?

Those questions aside, would it be possible to import the flat file into SQL Server before you use CACHE? That might give you a variable length flat-file record where you could do more analysis with views and the import/export tools, and preserve the records that are currently being dropped.
    Wendell