Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I need a good email program as I am tired of logging on just to check if there are new emails. I know that Outlook is considered the numero uno program for managing emails, but I've also heard of Windows Live Mail, that it is the reincarnation of Outlook Express which personally I've never liked and never used, is considered quite capable of getting the job done, and it is also free, unlike the quite expensive Outlook 2010 (as a part of the whole Office 2010 pack).

So, why do I need a costly program for handling emails if I can get one for free? Why do people praise Outlook so much when they have a free alternative?

Any help will be appreciated.

TIA

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rfe777 View Post
    why do I need a costly program for handling emails if I can get one for free?
    If you only need an email client, you don't need Outlook.

Why do people praise Outlook so much when they have a free alternative?
    Because they wish to use the Calendaring, Task, Note, and (possibly) Journaling features of Outlook, which are oriented more to business (or a very busy personal life). If you don't need those features, you don't need Outlook. And even skilled Outlook users don't praise and worship Outlook unequivocally - though now around 15 years old it has it's oddities and long-missing features such as contact search and replace, etc.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks
    So, why do I need a costly program for handling emails if I can get one for free? Why do people praise Outlook so much when they have a free alternative?
    For business use, Outlook is a very practical choice. It provides broad compatibility with business email systems, and syncs with Smartphone/PDAs running the Windows Mobile OS. Since most companies purchase MS Office Standard or higher, they have Outlook anyway, and many third party business solutions integrate directly into Outlook.

For home or academic users, Outlook is much less compelling. Many ISPs say they don't support it (perhaps because it is more complex than the free software included with Windows, Eudora, or Thunderbird).

Regarding which mail software with work with your account, it depends on whether the account allows access by POP or IMAP, which are easily supported, or whether it requires a special webmail connector. In that case, you will have to check for what is compatible.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBF View Post
    Because they wish to use the Calendaring, Task, Note, and (possibly) Journaling features of Outlook, which are oriented more to business (or a very busy personal life). If you don't need those features, you don't need Outlook. And even skilled Outlook users don't praise and worship Outlook unequivocally - though now around 15 years old it has it's oddities and long-missing features such as contact search and replace, etc.
    I agree. Many of us have used Office and Outlook at work and just naturally gravitate to Office and Outlook at home. I have a Windows Live account and Gmail account, among others, and would probably use the Gmail if all I wanted was email. I find the Windows system too intrusive and pushy.