Lounger
    Thanks

I recently built two up-to-date machines (one a little over the top) and had to transfer data from the old machines to the new ones. One was using Vista and the other XP while both new ones are Win7. Transfering data from the Vista to eSATA using an eSATA cable and an MnsCool hdd docking port was very slow. Transfering data to either of the Win7 machines was also slow. One used an eSATA cable and the other a USB. When I went to copy data from the XP machine using the exact same setup and a USB cable the transfer was extremely fast. I copied all the data I needed from that machine in less than 15 minutes. Copying what I needed from the Vista machine took hours, literally many hours! I realize that copying fonts, icons and other small items can take a long time, but taking all that into account the amount of time spent was totally incomparable. Any ideas of what I did or didn't do right or wrong here?
    Gary

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If this was just noticable when Vista was involved, that was one of the original huge problems with Vista that was modified to work better with subsequent updates; but even then I always noticed performance issues in certain areas, for me personally with firewire drives and parsing a file over a network connection (it would take 18 or 19 times longer with Vista).

Win 7 has just a touch of that same tardiness but is nowhere even close to being as bad so if you're done with Vista now, you hopefully shouldn't encounter that problem any more.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am still experiencing the problem but I think you hit the nail for me. The hdd I put in the desktop port was taken from the Vista machine without being reformatted. Transfering data from it to Win7 is as bad as from the Vista machine. Thanks.
    Gary